Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion?

In summary: So we are left with dark energy being the cause.The idea of being near the center of an underdense region is a serious one that was actively debated in the literature around a decade ago. It seems that it has been ruled out by the data, though. The concept of dark energy remains the leading explanation for the accelerated expansion of the universe.
Mathchallenged
TL;DR Summary
Does the accelerating expansion of the universe with dark energy behave the same way if it was inside a large spherical shell with a very large mass with gravitational attraction but no dark energy?
Without suggesting that there actually is a massive spherical shell enclosing the universe, I am trying to explore whether the observed expansion of the universe would be the same if there was a spherical shell with a diameter greater than the universe, with some arbitrary mass producing a gravitational force acting on the enclosed universe. I might have expressed this idea badly. A little help would be appreciated.

Space news on Phys.org
No. The equations of motion are entirely different.

The expansion is uniformly linear with distance. Motion under gravitational attraction is not.

Likes Orodruin
Please point me at a tutorial comparing the two sets of equations. I want to understand how they are different. Thanks.

The solution inside the spherical shell is essentially a spherical cut out of Minkowski space.

Mathchallenged said:
Please point me at a tutorial comparing the two sets of equations. I want to understand how they are different. Thanks.
You may or may not find something comparing the two. The accerating universe expansion is modeled by the Friedmann equation, with the appropriate vacuum/dark energy density.

You should be able to find lots on that.

Gravitational attraction, on the other hand, is an inverse square law. Which is quite different.

Orodruin said:
The solution inside the spherical shell is essentially a spherical cut out of Minkowski space.
...but filled with a uniform expanding fluid, if we want to model the universe. I think that would be a bit different, and wouldn't it also depend on how the sphere is behaving? Is it also expanding so the mass inside is constant, or what?

@Mathchallenged - The mainstream model of the universe is called the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker spacetime (although many sources don't include Lemaitre) and its evolution is governed by the Friedmann equations. Chapter 8 of Sean Carroll's GR notes covers it (free to download), and I think the wiki article isn't too bad.

Likes PeroK
Mathchallenged said:
spherical shell with a diameter greater than the universe, with some arbitrary mass producing a gravitational force acting on the enclosed universe.
A spherical shell of matter produces zero gravitational force on anything inside the shell. So no, it is not at all the same as the effect of dark energy.

Likes Orodruin and PeroK
Orodruin said:
If there's no matter inside the shell. But even if there is matter inside the shell, so the solution inside is not Minkowski, the shell itself has zero effect on the matter inside the shell, because of the shell theorem. That is the key fact that rules out the kind of model described in the OP.

Likes Orodruin
PeterDonis said:
If there's no matter inside the shell. But even if there is matter inside the shell, so the solution inside is not Minkowski, the shell itself has zero effect on the matter inside the shell, because of the shell theorem. That is the key fact that rules out the kind of model described in the OP.
Sure, I was just focusing on the part of replacing dark energy with a large sphere.

Mathchallenged said:
Summary:: Does the accelerating expansion of the universe with dark energy behave the same way if it was inside a large spherical shell with a very large mass with gravitational attraction but no dark energy?

Without suggesting that there actually is a massive spherical shell enclosing the universe, I am trying to explore whether the observed expansion of the universe would be the same if there was a spherical shell with a diameter greater than the universe, with some arbitrary mass producing a gravitational force acting on the enclosed universe. I might have expressed this idea badly. A little help would be appreciated.
The idea that the accelerated expansion of the universe can potentially be explained by us being near the center of a large underdense region, with more dense universe beyond that, is a serious idea that has been considered by cosmologists. It was very hotly and actively debated around something like 10-20 years ago, with lots of back-and-forth.

I believe the resolution is that the "void models" of expansion here just don't fit with the data. This paper is an example:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1007.3725

So, yes, it might have been possible for the accelerated expansion to have been due to us just being very near the center of an underdense region (a "void", hence the name). But the data doesn't appear to fit.

1. What is the Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion?

The Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion is a concept in cosmology that refers to the phenomenon of the universe's expansion accelerating over time. It is also known as the accelerated expansion of the universe or cosmic acceleration.

2. How is the Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion measured?

The Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion is measured through various methods, including observations of distant supernovae, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the large-scale structure of the universe. These measurements provide evidence for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

3. What is the cause of the Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion?

The cause of the Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion is still unknown and is a subject of ongoing research in cosmology. Some theories suggest that it could be due to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe's total energy density.

4. How does the Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion affect the future of the universe?

If the Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion continues, it will eventually lead to the "heat death" of the universe, where all matter and energy will be evenly spread out and the universe will reach a state of maximum entropy. However, the exact timeline and outcome of this process are still uncertain.

5. Are there any competing theories to explain the Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion?

There are some alternative theories that attempt to explain the Equivalence of Universe Accelerating Expansion without the need for dark energy, such as modified gravity theories. However, these theories have not yet been fully supported by observational evidence and remain a subject of debate among scientists.