Equivalent Conditions for Nonsingularity (Matrices)

In summary, the statement that A is singular if a1+a2=a3+2a4 is false. This can be shown by a simple example where A is a nonsingular matrix. The statement that if A is row equivalent to both B and C, then A is row equivalent to B+C is also false. While it is true that if A is row equivalent to B and B is row equivalent to C, then A is row equivalent to C, this does not necessarily hold true for the sum of two row equivalent matrices.
jtruth914
True or False. If true explain or prove answer, and if false give an example to show the statement is not always true.

1. If A is a 4x4 matrix and a1+a2=a3+2a4, then A must be singular.
2. If A is row equivalent to both B and C, then A is row equivalent to B+C.

My Work:
1. I say it's False because A is nonsingular. But I don't know how to show an example of it.
2. I say it's False. I know that If A is row equivalent to B, and B is row equivalent to C, then A is row equivalent to C. I don't know how to show an example for 2 neither.

Physics news on Phys.org
jtruth914 said:
True or False. If true explain or prove answer, and if false give an example to show the statement is not always true.

1. If A is a 4x4 matrix and a1+a2=a3+2a4, then A must be singular.
2. If A is row equivalent to both B and C, then A is row equivalent to B+C.

My Work:
1. I say it's False because A is nonsingular. But I don't know how to show an example of it.
2. I say it's False. I know that If A is row equivalent to B, and B is row equivalent to C, then A is row equivalent to C. I don't know how to show an example for 2 neither.

What do you mean by a1, etc?

I think a1 is referring to the entries in matrix A.

jtruth914 said:
I think a1 is referring to the entries in matrix A.

If that is so then the question makes no sense. The matrix has 16 entries, so which 4 of the 16 are a1, a2, a3 and a4?

I would guess that a1, a2, a3 and a4 are referring to either the rows or columns of the matrix, but you'll have to fill us in on what your notation is.

The book uses that notation to refer to the column.

In your answer to #1, you simply assert A is non-singular. How do you know this?

Related to Equivalent Conditions for Nonsingularity (Matrices)

What is meant by nonsingularity in matrices?

Nonsingularity in matrices refers to the property of a matrix to have an inverse. A nonsingular matrix is one that can be inverted, meaning that it has a unique solution for every set of equations.

What are the equivalent conditions for nonsingularity in matrices?

The equivalent conditions for nonsingularity in matrices are:

1. The determinant of the matrix is non-zero
  2. The rank of the matrix is equal to the number of rows/columns
  3. The matrix has full row rank and full column rank
  4. The nullity of the matrix is equal to 0
  5. The matrix has linearly independent rows/columns

Why is nonsingularity important in matrix operations?

Nonsingularity is important in matrix operations because it ensures that the system of equations represented by the matrix has a unique solution. It also allows for efficient computation of solutions using techniques such as Gaussian elimination.

How can nonsingularity be determined for a given matrix?

Nonsingularity can be determined by calculating the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is nonsingular. Other methods include using row reduction to check for linear independence or using the rank-nullity theorem.

What is the geometric interpretation of nonsingularity in matrices?

The geometric interpretation of nonsingularity in matrices is that it represents a linear transformation that preserves the dimension of the vector space. This means that the transformation does not collapse any dimensions and can be reversed, making it an invertible transformation.