Ereader (Nook) no longer recognized by PC

• Thread starter Doc Al
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, when I try to connect my old Nook to my new laptop, it doesn't show up in the Device Manager. I think it might be because the new laptop doesn't have the driver installed. I'm not sure how to fix this.
Doc Al
Mentor
I have an old ereader (a Nook) that I've used for reading ePub books for ages. I mainly side-load books. I just plug it into a USB port and it appears as a folder, where I can add and delete things as I please. Until now. When I plug it into a port on my new laptop, it is not recognized. Any idea what might be causing this and how I can fix it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Maybe it's an unusual driver? What does the Device Manager show you for your USB eBook Reader device when you plug it in. If you look at the ^ icon in the lower right of the Windows toolbar and click on it when you first plug in the eReader, does it show that it's looking for a driver for it?

If so, can you explicitly install the drivers from the device's website?

berkeman said:
If you look at the ^ icon in the lower right of the Windows toolbar
The one labeled "Show hidden icons"? Nothing special shows up there.

It's an ancient B&N Nook -- I don't see anything on their website about drivers.

Yes, the little ^ symbol at the lower right of the bottom bar in Windows:
1684430462844.png

If there is a new USB device plugged in, clicking on that symbol brings up a pop-up that lets you click on a little spinning icon to see what the install is doing. I use that to watch the progress of USB device installations, in case there is a problem.

If you open the Device Manager and plug/unplug the device, do you see any changes in the devices listed?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
If there is a new USB device plugged in, clicking on that symbol brings up a pop-up that lets you click on a little spinning icon to see what the install is doing. I use that to watch the progress of USB device installations, in case there is a problem.
I saw nothing. (And I didn't know it showed that sort of thing.)
berkeman said:
If you open the Device Manager and plug/unplug the device, do you see any changes in the devices listed?
Nothing that I can see.

FYI: I have a bigger Nook, which I use for PDFs, that does show up when plugged in.

TonyStewart said:
Verify PC Device mgr when connecting to USB and/or Nook Wifi Settings.

https://help.barnesandnoble.com/hc/en-us/articles/5582744841243-NOOK-HD-Software-Updates

To verify you have the latest version of the NOOK HD software, tap the Settings icon in the Status bar at the top of your screen. Tap on All Settings and then tap on Device Information; check to see that your Software version is 2.2.1.
Since this is an ancient Nook, I doubt there's any update to its software. And on my old PC (which is out of commission for the time being), it shows up just fine just like any other USB drive.

Doc Al said:
Since this is an ancient Nook, I doubt there's any update to its software. And on my old PC (which is out of commission for the time being), it shows up just fine just like any other USB drive.
DID YOU Verify PC Device Mgr when connecting to USB and/or Nook Wifi Settings?
Verify cable is OK. then device must show up in device mgr.
Is Autoplay disabled?

My Dev Mgr looks like this when USB is expanded but I do not own this device.
1684442386092.png

TonyStewart said:
DID YOU Verify PC Device Mgr when connecting to USB and/or Nook Wifi Settings?
Verify cable is OK. then device must show up in device mgr.
Is Autoplay disabled?
I don't see anything new in Device Manager when I connect the Nook. The cable seems fine. I tried a different cable with the same results.

Other things (such as external drives) show up fine when connected to a port. Nothing shows when I connect the Nook.

Don't know about Autoplay.

OK, I'm an idiot. All I had to do was power it off and on and it was fine. :rolleyes:
(I haven't had to touch the power button in about 10 years -- so it didn't even occur to me.)

Thanks for your help!

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
I'd like to explore this a little further. I am having the exact same problem. My PC just suddenly stopped recognizing my Nook. It was working fine and then suddenly nothing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my USB drivers. Power cycled my Nook and PC. Tried it on another PC (my laptop). I have checked to make sure I the latest version of the Nook software. If you look on the web, this is a pretty common problem, but no one seems to have a good solution. Solutions to most Nook/PC problems appear to assume your PC will recognize the Nook. I'm guessing the problem is on the Nook end since it has failed on two different PC's. Does anyone have a good solution?

tgcarter said:
Does anyone have a good solution?
This has happened to me several times. Each time the solution was as I described earlier: Unplug the Nook from the USB, power it off, power it back up, and then plug it into the USB.

(I'm guessing you already tried that. Oh well.)

Bad USB Cable? (Yes, they do fail!)

1. Why is my Ereader (Nook) no longer being recognized by my PC?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty USB cable, outdated software, or a problem with the device's hardware. It could also be because the device is not properly connected to the computer.

2. What can I do to fix this problem?

First, try using a different USB cable to connect your Ereader to the computer. If that does not work, make sure that your device's software is up-to-date. You can also try restarting both your device and your computer. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the device's hardware and you may need to contact technical support.

3. How can I check if my Ereader is being recognized by my PC?

You can check this in your computer's file explorer. Your Ereader should appear as a connected device. You can also go to your device's settings and check the connection status.

4. Can I still transfer files to my Ereader even if it is not recognized by my PC?

Yes, you can still transfer files to your Ereader by using a microSD card. Simply insert the card into your device and transfer the files to the card using a card reader. Then, insert the card into your Ereader and access the files.

5. How can I prevent this issue from happening again in the future?

Make sure to regularly update your device's software and use a high-quality USB cable when connecting it to your computer. Also, avoid disconnecting the device while files are being transferred. If the issue continues to occur, consider getting your device checked by a professional.