Ester linkage and alkene cracking

In summary, the ester bond is composed of several bonds, including a bond between the carbonyl carbon and the adjacent carbon, a double bond between the carbonyl carbon and the carbonyl oxygen, a bond between the carbonyl carbon and the adjacent oxygen, and a single bond between the adjacent singly-bonded oxygen and another carbon. Alkenes such as decene or alkanes are not typically cracked, as they are products of cracking. It is possible for an alkene to be present in a coal, but it would not be cracked.
sgstudent
in an ester is the ester link/bond the -COO-? meaning does it include the C=O in the ester linkage. i would think so as something else would mean the functional group is different. However, i am not entirely sure as my textbook just brakets the C-O as the ester bond.

Also, can alkenes such as decene be cracked or only alkanes can be cracked?

Thanks for all the help! :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sgstudent said:
in an ester is the ester link/bond the -COO-? meaning does it include the C=O in the ester linkage. i would think so as something else would mean the functional group is different. However, i am not entirely sure as my textbook just brakets the C-O as the ester bond.
There are several bonds in an ester. There is a bond between the carbonyl carbon and the adjacent carbon (R-COO), there is a double bond between the carbonyl carbon and the carbonyl oxygen (R-C=O), there is a bond between the carbonyl carbon and the adjacent oxygen (R-(C=O)-O) and there is a single bond between the adjacent singly-bonded oxygen and another carbon (R-(C=O)-O-R').
Also, can alkenes such as decene be cracked or only alkanes can be cracked?
That which is cracked is usually a heavy oil or thick, viscous residue or even a coal. So the answer is neither alkenes such as decene or alkanes are cracked. Those compounds are the products of cracking.

chemisttree said:
There are several bonds in an ester. There is a bond between the carbonyl carbon and the adjacent carbon (R-COO), there is a double bond between the carbonyl carbon and the carbonyl oxygen (R-C=O), there is a bond between the carbonyl carbon and the adjacent oxygen (R-(C=O)-O) and there is a single bond between the adjacent singly-bonded oxygen and another carbon (R-(C=O)-O-R').

That which is cracked is usually a heavy oil or thick, viscous residue or even a coal. So the answer is neither alkenes such as decene or alkanes are cracked. Those compounds are the products of cracking.

Oh then if there is an alkene in the coal which is a long chain one will it be cracked? Thanks for the help!

1. What is an ester linkage?

An ester linkage is a type of chemical bond between a carboxylic acid and an alcohol molecule. It is formed through a condensation reaction, in which a water molecule is eliminated.

2. How is an ester linkage formed?

An ester linkage is formed through a condensation reaction between a carboxylic acid and an alcohol molecule. The reaction is catalyzed by an acid catalyst, such as sulfuric acid, and results in the elimination of a water molecule.

3. What is the purpose of alkene cracking?

Alkene cracking is a process used to break down large hydrocarbon molecules into smaller, more useful molecules. It is often used in the petroleum industry to produce more gasoline or other fuels from crude oil.

4. How does alkene cracking work?

Alkene cracking involves breaking the carbon-carbon double bond in an alkene molecule, resulting in smaller molecules with single bonds. This process can be achieved through thermal or catalytic cracking methods.

5. What are the benefits of ester linkage and alkene cracking?

Ester linkage and alkene cracking have various industrial applications, such as in the production of plastics, fuels, and pharmaceuticals. They also help to increase the efficiency of the use of natural resources, such as crude oil, by breaking down large molecules into smaller, more useful ones.