Estimate takeoff speed of aircraft

In summary, Francesca dangles her watch from a thin piece of string while the jetliner she is in takes off from Dulles Airport. She notices that the string makes an angle of 20° with respect to the vertical while the aircraft accelerates for takeoff, which takes about 14.5 seconds. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.
physicsss
Francesca, who likes physics experiments, dangles her watch from a thin piece of string while the jetliner she is in takes off from Dulles Airport. (see pic. attached) She notices that the string makes an angle of 20° with respect to the vertical while the aircraft accelerates for takeoff, which takes about 14.5 seconds. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.

I have no idea where to start...

Attachments

• yuck.gif
    yuck.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a slight problem with this: obviously the airplane is climbing (at a steep angle in my experience!) but nothing is said about the angle of climb. If we take the angle of the watch to be from the "airplane's vertical" (vertical to the floor of the airplane) we still can't calcuate the angle at which gravity asks. Conversely, if we take the angle of the watch to be from "true vertical", we don't know which way the "force" due to the acceleration of the airplane is directed.

I will assume we are talking about the acceleration along the runway so that the angle of climb is 0: the force due to gravity is downward and the acceleration of the airplane is forward, perpendicular to gravity.

You know the downward force on the watch is mg and you know the force on the watch (backward) due to the airplanes acceleration, a, is ma. Write those as vectors and sum. What must a be in order that the resultant vector is 20 degrees to the vertical? After you know a, it will be easy to find the final velocity (the takeoff speed! Yes, the problem was talking about acceleration down the runway!).

nm...got it

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
I have a slight problem with this: obviously the airplane is climbing (at a steep angle in my experience!) but nothing is said about the angle of climb. If we take the angle of the watch to be from the "airplane's vertical" (vertical to the floor of the airplane) we still can't calcuate the angle at which gravity asks. Conversely, if we take the angle of the watch to be from "true vertical", we don't know which way the "force" due to the acceleration of the airplane is directed.

I will assume we are talking about the acceleration along the runway so that the angle of climb is 0: the force due to gravity is downward and the acceleration of the airplane is forward, perpendicular to gravity.

You know the downward force on the watch is mg and you know the force on the watch (backward) due to the airplanes acceleration, a, is ma. Write those as vectors and sum. What must a be in order that the resultant vector is 20 degrees to the vertical? After you know a, it will be easy to find the final velocity (the takeoff speed! Yes, the problem was talking about acceleration down the runway!).

Ok, I used the vectors, 9.8 and "a" with my angle being 25. I got 21m/s^2 for my a. My time was 10seconds so I used the formula Vf=Vi + at and got a final velocity of 210m/s...and the program says I'm wrong...how?

What do you get for the 20 angle specified in the problem?

If I use an angle of 20degrees and a t=14.5, then I get 390m/s.
Basically, all I'm doing is 9.8/tan(angle)=a , then a*t=Final velocity.

It's the other way around,as u check in the right triangle where u can use "tan"...
[tex] a=g\tan 20[/tex]°

Daniel.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad: I hate when its something so simple LOL

hey wait a second...tan = opposite / adjacent. The opposite side is the 9.8 (b/c gravity is downwards) and the adjacent side is the "a". So tan20=9.8/a, not a/9.8

What am I missing?

1. What factors are involved in determining the takeoff speed of an aircraft?

The takeoff speed of an aircraft is determined by a variety of factors, including the weight of the aircraft, air temperature, air pressure, wind conditions, and runway length. The weight of the aircraft and the air temperature have the greatest impact on the takeoff speed.

2. How is the takeoff speed calculated?

The takeoff speed is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the weight of the aircraft, air density, and lift coefficient. This formula is based on the principles of aerodynamics and is specific to each type of aircraft.

3. Why does the takeoff speed vary between different aircraft?

The takeoff speed varies between different aircraft because each aircraft is designed differently and has unique characteristics such as weight, wing shape, and engine power. These factors affect the amount of lift and thrust needed for the aircraft to take off, thus influencing the takeoff speed.

4. How do changes in weather affect the takeoff speed of an aircraft?

Changes in weather, such as high temperatures or strong winds, can affect the air density and pressure, which in turn can impact the takeoff speed of an aircraft. Higher temperatures and lower air density can increase the takeoff speed, while strong headwinds can decrease the takeoff speed.

5. Can the takeoff speed be adjusted by the pilot?

The takeoff speed is a crucial safety factor and is determined by the aircraft manufacturer. Therefore, the takeoff speed cannot be adjusted by the pilot. However, the pilot can make adjustments to the aircraft's weight, flaps, and engine power to ensure a safe takeoff at the designated speed.