Problem: Watch attached to a string in an airplane

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student trying to estimate the takeoff speed of a jetliner by using the angle of a string and the time it takes for the aircraft to accelerate. The student is having trouble with their approach and others suggest setting up a coordinate system and using the geometry to relate the horizontal and vertical accelerations.
N_L_
I'm having trouble with the correct setup for the following problem:

A physics student, who likes physics experiments, dangles her watch from a thin piece of string while the jetliner she is in takes off from JFK Airport. She notices that the string makes an angle of 25 degrees with respect to the vertical as the aircraft accelerates for takeoff, which takes about 18 seconds. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.

Given: Theta = 25 degrees ; time = 18 s
Unknown: Ft, acceleration (ax and ay)

I drew an FBD and split up gravity into its x and y components.

I have the equations as:

mg sin 25 = m ax

Ft - mg cos 25 = m ay

What's wrong with this approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my solution to your problem
[tex]a=g\tan\theta[/tex]
where [tex]\theta=25^o[/tex]
And the takeoff speed of the aircraft is
[tex]v=at=gt\tan\theta[/tex]

N_L_ said:
I'm having trouble with the correct setup for the following problem:

A physics student, who likes physics experiments, dangles her watch from a thin piece of string while the jetliner she is in takes off from JFK Airport. She notices that the string makes an angle of 25 degrees with respect to the vertical as the aircraft accelerates for takeoff, which takes about 18 seconds. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.

Given: Theta = 25 degrees ; time = 18 s
Unknown: Ft, acceleration (ax and ay)

I drew an FBD and split up gravity into its x and y components.

I have the equations as:

mg sin 25 = m ax

Ft - mg cos 25 = m ay

What's wrong with this approach?

First, what forces do you have in your FBD? There are only two forces: the tension in the string and gravity.

Second, a_y = 0.

Imposing a_y = 0 will allow you to find the tension. Then using the tension you found and plugging it into the x equation will allow you to find the acceleration along x.

The answers of the other posters are right.

Patrick

As nrged implied, ALWAYS set up a coordinate parallel to the direction of motion or parallel the acceleration. (implied by not even considering that anyone might set up a coordinate system parallel the string).
Otherwise, what's wrong with this approach is that you have 3 unknowns
(ax, ay, T ) so you need an equation to relate ax with ay.
By geometry, ax + ay must add up to a horizontal total acceleration,
and you're back to the "straight-forward" equation.

What is the problem with a watch attached to a string in an airplane?

The problem with a watch attached to a string in an airplane is that the watch may experience different forces and movements due to the changes in speed and altitude, leading to inaccurate timekeeping.

How does the watch attached to a string behave in an airplane?

The watch attached to a string in an airplane may swing back and forth, oscillate, or even twist due to the changes in acceleration and turbulence. This can affect the accuracy of the time displayed on the watch.

Why is it important to address this problem?

It is important to address this problem because accurate timekeeping is crucial for many tasks in an airplane, such as navigation, communication, and flight coordination. Inaccurate timekeeping can lead to errors and potentially dangerous situations.

What are some potential solutions to this problem?

One potential solution is to use a watch with a shock-resistant movement that can withstand the forces and movements in an airplane. Another solution is to use a GPS watch that can accurately keep time regardless of changes in speed and altitude.

Can this problem be completely eliminated?

It may not be possible to completely eliminate this problem, as there will always be some degree of movement and turbulence in an airplane. However, using watches with specialized movements or advanced technology can greatly reduce the impact of this problem on timekeeping accuracy.