Estimating Temperature and Wavelength of a Light Bulb Filament

In summary, the filament of a 40W light bulb has a radius of either 1.5 micrometers or 15 millimeters, and a length of 10cm. Assuming the filament is made of tungsten and has an emissivity of 0.26, the estimated operating temperature is 139972.5K. This is higher than the surface temperature of the sun. For the peak wavelength of emitted thermal radiation, the author considered using the formula H = AeσT^4, but decided against it due to the lack of specific heat capacity and a change in temperature. After further calculation, the estimated temperature is 7325.9K and the peak wavelength is approximately 409.5nm. However
Brewer
I have a question which is:

The filament of a 40W light bulb has a radius of 1.5μm and a length of 10cm.
Estimate:
i) the operating temperature of the filament
ii) the peak wavelength of the emitted thermal radiation

Stating any assumptions made.

I assumed that the filament was made of tungsten and has an emissivity of 0.26.

I then used the forumla:
H = AeσT^4

but this gave me a temperature of 139972.5K, which as far as I'm aware is hotter than the surface temperature of the sun right?

For the second part of the question, I wanted to use E=mcΔθ to get the energy, and then use this with E=hf to find the frequency and thus be able to calculate the wavelength. However after further consideration I decided against this idea, as I don't have a change in temperature, only a single value (and the lack of specific heat capacity of tungsten in the question also lead me to think that this wasn't the best course of action to take).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got about 7300 K for the temperature. Check your units and your math.

Thanks for that. After a more indepth read of my textbook I found I had to use the surface area of the filament, whereas I had been using the cross sectional area of it.

I think the value that I got in the end was 7325.9K

And for the wavelength I got about 409.5nm. Do you agree with that?

That's close - I get about 396 nm.

Brewer said:
I have a question which is:
The filament of a 40W light bulb has a radius of 1.5μm and a length of 10cm.
Estimate:
i) the operating temperature of the filament
ii) the peak wavelength of the emitted thermal radiation
Stating any assumptions made.
I assumed that the filament was made of tungsten and has an emissivity of 0.26.
I then used the forumla:
H = AeσT^4
but this gave me a temperature of 139972.5K, which as far as I'm aware is hotter than the surface temperature of the sun right?
For the second part of the question, I wanted to use E=mcΔθ to get the energy, and then use this with E=hf to find the frequency and thus be able to calculate the wavelength. However after further consideration I decided against this idea, as I don't have a change in temperature, only a single value (and the lack of specific heat capacity of tungsten in the question also lead me to think that this wasn't the best course of action to take).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think the radius of the wire is wrong. It cannot be [itex]\mu m[/itex]. That is way too thin. It might be 1.5 millimeters but that seems a little thick for a light filament. If you use 1.5 mm, the answer is about 1600 deg. K which is in the right order of magnitude.

AM

I agree it seems far too thin, but I'm working off the question I have infront of me. Its either 1.5 [itex]\mu m[/itex] or 15. There was a mark on the page just where you'd put a decimal point so whether its a decimal point or a photocopying error I don't know

Related to Estimating Temperature and Wavelength of a Light Bulb Filament

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is the study of the properties of matter and their relation to temperature and heat. It involves understanding how energy is transferred as heat and how it affects the behavior of particles and systems.

2. How is thermal physics related to thermodynamics?

Thermal physics and thermodynamics are closely related fields. While thermal physics focuses on the microscopic behavior of particles, thermodynamics deals with the macroscopic properties of systems and how they change in response to heat and work.

3. What are some real-world applications of thermal physics?

Thermal physics has numerous practical applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and materials used for insulation. It is also crucial in understanding weather patterns and climate change, as well as in the development of renewable energy technologies.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermal physics?

In thermal physics, heat refers to the transfer of energy between two systems due to a temperature difference. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. So while heat is related to the transfer of energy, temperature is a measure of the energy within a system.

5. How does thermal physics explain phase changes in matter?

Thermal physics provides an understanding of how the kinetic energy of particles changes during phase transitions, such as melting, boiling, and condensation. It also explains the role of temperature and pressure in these changes and how they are related to the behavior of particles at the atomic level.