Estimating Width of 21cm Line from Atomic Hydrogen Cloud

In summary, the textbook used an equation that takes into account the motions of the atoms, and a less complex approximation for the FWHM line width.
v_pino

Homework Statement

Estimate the width of a 21cm spectral line produced by an interstellar cloud of atomic hydrogen with a temperature of 300K.

Homework Equations

From wiki (link below), I found an equation for full width at half maximum, relating it to Boltzmann constant, temperature T, mass m, and speed of light c.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_broadening

I used the mass of one hydrogen atom for m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 2.59x10^-4 cm but the answer should be 2.0x10^-4 cm.

Any idea where I went wrong? Is the "width" mentioned in the question equal to the full width at half maximum?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Many astrophysics texts use a less complex approximation for the FWHM line width. Commonly, the derived formula will simply be

[tex] \Delta\lambda_{FWHM}\approx\frac{2\lambda}{c}\sqrt{\frac{2kT}{m}} [/tex]

If a more in-depth analysis is performed, taking into account the atoms motions in various directions relative to each other and the observers line of sight, you get the more precise formula containing the factor of [tex] \ln(2) [/tex] which is missing from the above equation, but present in the one you used.

Your answer is technically more correct, just not the one you were expected to give.

But omitting ln2 gives a larger value of 3.11x10^-6m. The given answer should be 2x10^-6m.

Ah, yes, how stupid of me.

I've had a look through a few textbooks, and I'm not sure what they did to arrive at that solution. The only other thing I could think of would be that rather than using the FWHM line width, they were using the exponential width, i.e. the peak width where intensity drops to [tex] 1/e [/tex] what it is at the peak, which would give a slightly smaller value. Unfortunately I don't know the formula for finding that offhand. I suppose they could also be assuming some other non-Gaussian velocity distribution (like Maxwellian or something), but that would be unusual for such a question.

I would first like to commend you for using reliable sources and attempting to solve the problem on your own. It shows a strong understanding of research and critical thinking skills.

In regards to your question, the width mentioned in the problem is indeed referring to the full width at half maximum. However, it is important to note that this value is an average and can vary depending on the conditions of the cloud.

In order to obtain a more accurate estimate, it would be beneficial to consider other factors such as the density and velocity of the cloud. These can affect the Doppler broadening and therefore impact the width of the spectral line. Additionally, taking into account the instrumental broadening (due to the resolution of the instrument used to measure the line) can also improve the accuracy of the estimate.

In conclusion, while your attempt at solving the problem is commendable, it is important to consider other factors and sources of error in order to obtain a more precise estimate. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

1. What is the significance of estimating the width of the 21cm line from atomic hydrogen cloud?

The 21cm line is a spectral line emitted by neutral hydrogen atoms and is used to study the structure and dynamics of galaxies. By estimating its width, scientists can determine the velocity of the hydrogen atoms and thus gain insight into the motion and distribution of matter in the universe.

2. How is the width of the 21cm line determined?

The width of the 21cm line is determined by measuring the difference between the two peaks of the line, known as the full width at half maximum (FWHM). This value is then converted into velocity units using a formula known as the Doppler shift equation.

3. What factors can affect the width of the 21cm line?

The width of the 21cm line can be affected by several factors, including the temperature of the gas, the density of the gas, and the presence of magnetic fields. These factors can broaden or narrow the line, making it important for scientists to take them into account when estimating its width.

4. How does estimating the width of the 21cm line help in studying the evolution of galaxies?

By measuring the width of the 21cm line, scientists can determine the rotation speed of galaxies and the distribution of matter within them. This information can help them understand how galaxies form and evolve over time.

5. What other applications does estimating the width of the 21cm line have?

In addition to studying galaxies, the 21cm line can also be used to study the properties of interstellar gas and the structure of our own Milky Way galaxy. It can also be used to detect and study the properties of neutral hydrogen in other galaxies, giving us a better understanding of the overall structure of the universe.