Estimation of residual stress by finite element analysis

In summary: Is there a way to get the von mises yield criterion directly from the mechanical properties?There is no easy way to get the von mises yield criterion directly from the mechanical properties. You would need to use a numerical simulation tool to do the calculation.
meetsrivatsan
I am trying to do a finite element analysis ofcold extrusion process of a tube wherein the steel tube is reduced from a larger outer diamter to a smaller one by extrusion process.The tube is held stationary and the die is pushed into the tube for a particular length and then retrieved.I am interested in finding the residual stress distribution after extrusion. Do i have to take the stress state after the removal of die as residual stress or do i have to perform a spring back analysis after removing the die and then consider the resulting stress state as residual stress? Is there a procedure to estimate the residual stress by FEA.Any help in this regards will be highly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This will be a very challenging FEA problem to solve, and it would depend on very accurate material properties of the bar being extruded.

You could however estimate the stress by simply looking at the the size difference (strain) between the two tubes.

Thank you for the reply.As the material behaviour is non linear during plastic deformation,i have to rely on FEA only.

Also the input billet for the extrusion in this case is also a tube and not a bar.Typical size of the billet is a tube of OD 76mm and thickness of 6mm which has to be extruded to 70mm OD .

I have come across some documents wherein after simulating the extrusion process,they do a spring back analysis to find the residual stress.I am not able to understand why spring back analysis has to be done separately after extrusion simulation.Any clarification in this regard will be of great help to me in understanding the FE simulation procedure.

I have the mechanical properties obtained from tensile tests and i am planning to use von mises yield criteria with isotropic hadening behaviour in the FE simulation.

What is finite element analysis (FEA)?

Finite element analysis is a numerical method used to solve complex engineering problems by dividing a structure or material into smaller, simpler elements. These elements are then analyzed individually and their interactions are combined to create a comprehensive understanding of the overall system.

Why is it important to estimate residual stress using FEA?

Residual stress can significantly affect the performance and behavior of a material or structure, and it is often difficult to measure directly. FEA provides a reliable and efficient method for estimating residual stress, allowing engineers to make informed decisions about the design and use of materials.

How is residual stress estimated using FEA?

In FEA, residual stress is typically estimated by incorporating material properties and boundary conditions into a mathematical model of the structure. The model is then solved using specialized software, which calculates the resulting stress distribution within the material.

What factors can affect the accuracy of residual stress estimation using FEA?

The accuracy of FEA results can be affected by various factors, such as the complexity of the model, the quality of input data, and the assumptions made during the analysis. It is important to carefully consider these factors and validate the results through experimental testing.

How can FEA be used to optimize designs and improve material performance?

By accurately estimating residual stress, FEA allows engineers to identify potential design flaws and make necessary improvements to optimize the performance of a material or structure. This can lead to cost and time savings, as well as improved safety and reliability of products.