Evaluate the integral (inverse trig functions)

In summary, the integral of 4/(x√(x4-4)) is equal to 2[(1/2)sec-1(x2/2)] from [23/4, 2], which simplifies to pi/12.
ThatOneGuy

Homework Statement

[23/4, 2] 4/(x√(x4-4))

Homework Equations

∫ du/(u√(u2 - a2)) = 1/a(sec-1(u/a) + c

The Attempt at a Solution

I first multiplied the whole thing by x/x. This made the problem:
4x/(x2√(x4 - 4))

Then I did a u substitution making u = x2. Therefore, du = 2xdx. I multiplied by 2 to get 2du = 4xdx

The problem then becomes 2∫du/(u√(u2 - 4))

Solving the integral I got 2[(1/2)sec-1(x2/2)] from [23/4, 2]

I plug in the bounds and get 2[(1/2)sec-1(2) - (1/2)sec-1(26/4/2)

This is where I'm lost. The second sec does not seem like a nice number and I'm assuming my professor would make the problem come out nicely as he always has. I'm pretty sure I made a mistake somewhere because of this but I don't know where.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Try simplifying the fractional exponent and rewriting inverse secant in terms of inverse cosine ( arcsec(x) = arccos(1/x)).

Likes ThatOneGuy
jambaugh said:
Try simplifying the fractional exponent and rewriting inverse secant in terms of inverse cosine ( arcsec(x) = arccos(1/x)).

Thank you so much! I should have noticed the reducing.

Finishing the problem:

sec-1(2) - sec-1(21/2)

sec-1(2) - sec-1(√(2))

This equals:
arccos(1/2) - arccos(1/√(2))
arccos(1/2) - arccos(√(2)/2)
pi/3 - pi/4 = pi/12

What is the purpose of evaluating an integral with inverse trig functions?

The purpose of evaluating an integral with inverse trig functions is to find the area under a curve in a specific range. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object or the work done by a force.

What are the common inverse trig functions used in evaluating integrals?

The most commonly used inverse trig functions in evaluating integrals are arcsine (sin-1), arccosine (cos-1), and arctangent (tan-1). These functions are used to find the angle whose sine, cosine, or tangent is equal to a given value.

How do you evaluate an integral with inverse trig functions?

To evaluate an integral with inverse trig functions, you first need to rewrite the integral in terms of the inverse trig function. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric identity to simplify the integral. Finally, use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to solve the integral.

What is the importance of understanding inverse trig functions when evaluating integrals?

Understanding inverse trig functions is important when evaluating integrals because these functions are used to find the angle whose trigonometric value is known. Inverse trig functions are also essential in solving many real-world problems involving angles, distances, and areas.

Are there any special cases to consider when evaluating an integral with inverse trig functions?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider when evaluating an integral with inverse trig functions. These include when the integral involves a square root, when the integral is in the form of sinn(x)cosm(x), and when the limits of integration involve trigonometric values.