Evaluate the maxium of a trig function

In summary: To determine how u changes with x, you simply differentiate. I can't think of an example off hand, you just have to be very careful about how you simplify your problems, that's all.
AdrianZ

Homework Statement

here is the function:
y = 8sin(x) + cos(2x). the question is to evaluate the point where the function is maximum.

Homework Equations

any trig identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I tried to substitute cos(2x) with [tex]1 - 2sin^2(x)[/tex]. then we will have the function [tex]y = -2sin^2(x) + 8sin(x) + 1[/tex]. by setting sin(x) = u we will have a nice quadratic function in the form [tex]y = -2u^2 + 8u + 1[/tex]. we know that the point where a quadratic function in the form [tex]ax^2+bx+c [/tex] is maximum is given by [tex]{-b \over 2a}[/tex]. so with respect to that formula, we get [tex]{-b \over 2a} = - {8\over 2(-2)} = 2[/tex]. now because we had set sin(x) = u the x we're looking for is given by solving the trig equation sin(x)=2 and we know that that equation has no solutions. so logically the answer to our question is there's no such point.

now let's solve it this way, we have the function f(x) = 8sin(x) + cos(2x), if we take the first derivative, we will have: f'(x) = 8cos(x) - 2sin(2x). x=pie/2 is a solution to this equation, that means the point x=pie/2 is an extremum and because the a coefficient in the previous equation was negative it might be a local or global maximum.

well, as you see the two solutions contradict each other. any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just differentiate the trig function?
[tex]
f(x)=-2sin^2(x) + 8sin(x) + 1
[/tex]
Differentiate to obtain:
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=-4\sin x\cos x+8\cos x =\cos x(-4\sin x+8)=0
[/tex]
From there is shouldn't be too hard to work out the maximum/minimum.

Mat

hunt_mat said:
Why don't you just differentiate the trig function?
[tex]
f(x)=-2sin^2(x) + 8sin(x) + 1
[/tex]
Differentiate to obtain:
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=-4\sin x\cos x+8\cos x =\cos x(-4\sin x+8)=0
[/tex]
From there is shouldn't be too hard to work out the maximum/minimum.

Mat

please read the thread again. I want to know why the two solutions contradict each other. that's the aim of the thread.

Because the first solution is wrong basically. The quadratic you have is effectively only defined from [tex]-1\leqslant u\leqslant 1[/tex]

Mat

hunt_mat said:
Because the first solution is wrong basically. The quadratic you have is effectively only defined from [tex]-1\leqslant u\leqslant 1[/tex]

Mat

well, that's obvious that [tex]-1\leqslant sin(x)\leqslant 1[/tex] but I don't see anything wrong with the quadratic equation itself. explain please. I'm a little bit lost why it's giving me a false answer.

Last edited:
Your looking outside the range of applicability. Cinsidering the quadratic by itself is not enough, you must examine how u changes with respect to x also. The quadratic equation does not do this.

hunt_mat said:
Your looking outside the range of applicability. Cinsidering the quadratic by itself is not enough, you must examine how u changes with respect to x also. The quadratic equation does not do this.

yes, I understand that. but I don't know WHY this happens. would you give me an example of the same case in another maths problem? and tell me how to determine how u changes with respect to x?

thank you

To determine how u changes with x, you simply differentiate. I can't think of an example off hand, you just have to be very careful about how you simplify your problems, that's all.

hunt_mat said:
To determine how u changes with x, you simply differentiate. I can't think of an example off hand, you just have to be very careful about how you simplify your problems, that's all.

well, would you determine it for this particular problem?

I would (as you did) write the equation in terms of sin(x) and just differentiate. You will get your previous solution and the one which you need.

Related to Evaluate the maxium of a trig function

What is the maximum value of a trigonometric function?

The maximum value of a trigonometric function depends on the specific function and its domain. For example, the maximum value of the sine function is 1, while the maximum value of the tangent function is undefined as it approaches infinity.

How do you find the maximum value of a trigonometric function?

To find the maximum value of a trigonometric function, you must first determine the domain of the function. Then, you can use calculus techniques such as finding the derivative and setting it equal to 0 to solve for the critical points. The highest critical point within the domain will be the maximum value of the function.

What is the difference between local maximum and global maximum for a trigonometric function?

A local maximum is the highest point on a specific interval of a trigonometric function, while a global maximum is the highest point on the entire domain of the function. Depending on the shape of the function, the local maximum may or may not be the same as the global maximum.

Can a trigonometric function have more than one maximum value?

Yes, a trigonometric function can have multiple maximum values if its domain is not restricted. For example, the sine function has infinitely many maximum values as it oscillates between 1 and -1.

How does the period of a trigonometric function affect its maximum value?

The period of a trigonometric function, which is the length of one complete cycle, does not affect the maximum value of the function. The maximum value will remain the same regardless of the period, as long as the domain remains the same.