Evaluate using Leibniz rule and/or chain rule

In summary: Using the chain rule,$$ \frac{d}{dt} F(η(t)) = F'(η(t)) · \frac{d}{dt} η(t) = \rho(p(η(t),t)) · \frac{d}{dt} η(t) $$Also, using the fundamental theorem of calculus,$$ F'(t) = \frac{d}{dt} \int_{0}^{t} \rho(p,t) dz = \rho(p,t) \cdot \frac{d}{dt} t = \rho(p,t) $$So, in summary, using the chain rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus, we can evaluate $$ \frac{d}{dt}\int_{
Alex_ra
I want to evaluate
$$ \frac{d}{dt}\int_{0}^{^{\eta(t)}}\rho(p,t)dz $$

where p itself is $$ p=p(z,t) $$

I have the feeling I have to use Leibniz rule and/or chain rule, but I'm not sure how...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex_ra said:
I want to evaluate
$$ \frac{d}{dt}\int_{0}^{^{\eta(t)}}\rho(p,t)dz $$

where p itself is $$ p=p(z,t) $$

I have the feeling I have to use Leibniz rule and/or chain rule, but I'm not sure how...

Thanks.
So ##\rho(p,t)=\rho(p(z,t),t)=\varphi(z,t)##, and if ##\phi_z(z,t)## is the anti-derivative of ##\varphi(z,t)## with respect to the first coordinate, your are actually looking for ##\frac{d}{dt} \left( \phi_z(\eta(t),t) - \phi_z(0,t) \right)##.
Don't know whether this helps.

Likes Alex_ra
The chain rule let's us differentiate each instance of the variable separately.
$$\dfrac{d}{dt}\int_{0}^{^{\eta(t)}}\rho(p(z,t),t)dz=\left.\left(\dfrac{\partial}{\partial u}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial v}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial w}\right)\int_{0}^{^{\eta(u)}}\rho(p(z,v),w)dz\right|_{u,v,w=t}$$
So replace each t by a dummy variable differentiate with respect to each and add them up, then replace each with t again.

Last edited:
Likes Alex_ra
Thanks fresh_24 and lurflurf for your quick and helfpul answers! Have a nice day.

$$ F(t) = \int_{0}^{^{t}}\rho(p,t)dz $$ is a function of ##t##.

Your function is ##F(η(t))##.

1. What is Leibniz rule?

Leibniz rule, also known as the generalized product rule, is a mathematical formula that allows you to take the derivative of a product of two functions. It is used in calculus and is named after the German mathematician and philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz.

2. How do you use Leibniz rule?

To use Leibniz rule, you first need to identify the two functions that are being multiplied together. Then, you take the derivative of each function individually and multiply them together. Finally, you add the product of the original functions multiplied by their derivatives.

3. What is the purpose of Leibniz rule?

The purpose of Leibniz rule is to simplify the process of taking the derivative of a product of two functions. It allows you to avoid using the product rule, which can be more complicated and time-consuming.

4. When should I use Leibniz rule?

You should use Leibniz rule when you need to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It is particularly useful when dealing with more complex functions that cannot be easily differentiated using the traditional methods.

5. How is Leibniz rule related to the chain rule?

The chain rule is a special case of Leibniz rule, where one of the functions is a composition of two or more functions. In this case, you can use Leibniz rule to take the derivative of the composite function by treating it as a product of two functions.