Evaluating the Limit of cos(3x)-cos(4x)/x^2: The Squeeze Theorem

In summary, the limit limx→∞ cos3x-cos4x/x^2 does not exist, but using the sandwich theorem, we can show that -3/x^2 ≤ ( cos 3x - cos 4x ) / x2≤ 4/x2, and by the squeeze theorem, the limit is equal to 0. However, using the Taylor expansion of the numerator, we can see that the limit is actually equal to 7/2.
tylersmith7690

Homework Statement

evaluate the following limit.

limx→∞ cos3x-cos4x/x^2 , include theorems

Homework Equations

Im guessing its a sandwhich theorem limit and that cos3x-cos4x as an upper bound of 3 and lower of -3. But was wondering if anyone can help explain to me why this is so and should I show a proof or working for this assumption.

The Attempt at a Solution

-3 ≤ cos 3x - cos 4x ≤ 3 , divide through by x^2 to get original equation

-3/x^2 ≤ ( cos 3x - cos 4x ) / x2≤ 4/x2

Now limx→∞ -3/x2 = 0 and
limx→∞ 3/x2 = 0.

So the limx→∞ ( cos 3x - cos 4x ) / x2 = 0 by the squeeze theorem.

I'm not sure as to what rules I would have to put in this working out. Except maybe something

about -1≤ cos ≤ 1 and how cos(3x) = cos(2x + x) = 3cos3-cos x

and cos(4x) = 2 cos2(2x) - 1 = 2(2 cos2(x) - 1)2 - 1 = 8 cos4(x) - 8 cos2(x) + 1
but i don't see how this would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
tylersmith7690 said:

Homework Statement

evaluate the following limit.

limx→∞ cos3x-cos4x/x^2 , include theorems

limx→∞ cos3x-cos4x/x^2 does not exist. Unless you intended to write limx→∞ (cos3x-cos4x)/x^2?

tylersmith7690 said:

2. Homework Equations

Im guessing its a sandwhich theorem limit and that cos3x-cos4x as an upper bound of 3 and lower of -3. But was wondering if anyone can help explain to me why this is so and should I show a proof or working for this assumption.

I do not see why 3 is chosen as upper bound and -3 as the lower one. But they are valid bounds. Anyway, -1≤cos3x≤1, and the same is true for cos(4x), -1≤cos4x≤1. It can happen, that cos 3x=-1 and at the same time cos 4x= 1, or cos(3x)=1 and cos(4x)=-1, So -2≤cos(3x)-cos(4x) ≤2 is always true, and you can apply the sandwich method.

tylersmith7690 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

-3 ≤ cos 3x - cos 4x ≤ 3 , divide through by x^2 to get original equation

-3/x^2 ≤ ( cos 3x - cos 4x ) / x2≤ 4/x2

Now limx→∞ -3/x2 = 0 and
limx→∞ 3/x2 = 0.

So the limx→∞ ( cos 3x - cos 4x ) / x2 = 0 by the squeeze theorem..

That is right, the limit is zero.

tylersmith7690 said:
I'm not sure as to what rules I would have to put in this working out. Except maybe something

about -1≤ cos ≤ 1 and how cos(3x) = cos(2x + x) = 3cos3-cos x

and cos(4x) = 2 cos2(2x) - 1 = 2(2 cos2(x) - 1)2 - 1 = 8 cos4(x) - 8 cos2(x) + 1
but i don't see how this would help.

No reason to complicate it... ehild

I would use Taylor expansion of the numerator
[tex]\cos(3 x)-\cos(4 x)=1-\frac{9 x^2}{2}-1+\frac{(4 x)^2}{2} + \mathcal{O}(x^4) = \frac{7}{2} x^2 + \mathcal{O}(x^4)[/tex]
and then I'd think about the limit again (it's NOT 0!).

BTW: It is good to use LaTeX for the formulae. The OP was not well defined and I could only guess what the right expression should be!

vanhees71 said:
I would use Taylor expansion of the numerator
[tex]\cos(3 x)-\cos(4 x)=1-\frac{9 x^2}{2}-1+\frac{(4 x)^2}{2} + \mathcal{O}(x^4) = \frac{7}{2} x^2 + \mathcal{O}(x^4)[/tex]
and then I'd think about the limit again (it's NOT 0!).

The Taylor expansion does not work for x→∞.

ehild

Related to Evaluating the Limit of cos(3x)-cos(4x)/x^2: The Squeeze Theorem

1. What is the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem, also known as the Sandwich Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that allows us to determine the limit of a function by "squeezing" it between two other functions whose limits are known.

2. Why is the Squeeze Theorem useful for evaluating limits?

The Squeeze Theorem is useful because it provides a way to evaluate limits of functions that are not directly solvable using algebraic techniques. It also allows us to prove the existence of a limit, even if we cannot determine its exact value.

3. How do I apply the Squeeze Theorem to evaluate the limit of cos(3x)-cos(4x)/x^2?

To apply the Squeeze Theorem, we need to find two other functions, g(x) and h(x), such that g(x) ≤ f(x) ≤ h(x) for all values of x near the limit point. In this case, we can use the fact that -1 ≤ cos(x) ≤ 1 for all values of x to show that -2/x^2 ≤ cos(3x)-cos(4x)/x^2 ≤ 2/x^2.

4. Can the Squeeze Theorem be used for all types of limits?

No, the Squeeze Theorem is specifically used for evaluating limits of functions that are "squeezed" between two other functions. It cannot be used for limits that do not have this type of relationship.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Squeeze Theorem to evaluate limits?

Yes, the Squeeze Theorem can only be used to evaluate limits as x approaches a specific value. It cannot be used to evaluate limits as x approaches infinity or negative infinity.