Evaporation in a silicon film

In summary, the speaker discusses a problem they are having with estimating heat transfer coefficient during evaporation measurements. They present two scenarios, one with a well-defined rectangular area and one with a halved area, and notice that while the mass transfer coefficient remains the same, the heat transfer coefficient is twice as much in the second scenario. This goes against the Chilton-Colburn heat and mass transfer analogy. Possible solutions to this issue include adjusting the air velocity and temperature, changing the geometry of the evaporation area, increasing the surface area of the wafer, or using a different form of heat transfer.
kcmharish
Hai.. I have a problem with my heat transfer coefficient estimation during my evaporation measurements.

Here is the problem: Two scenarios are compared.

Case 1: I have a well defined rectangular area in a silicon wafer. Water is completely spread over it. The mass of water is known. Air is blown over the liquid to enhance the evaporation rate. At steady state, the wet bulb temperature is reached. My calculated heat transfer coefficient is very similar to the one computed using the heat and mass transfer analogy.

Case 2: Now, the area is halved.But the mass of liquid is same. AM still getting the same mass transfer coefficient, but my heat transfer coefficeint twice in this case. This is clearly against the Chilton-Colburn heat and mass transfer analogy.

Only if i take the complete area of wafer, i am able to validate the heat and mass transfer analogy.

Please help me with this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The possible solutions may include:1. Adjust the velocity of air.2. Adjust the temperature of air.3. Change the geometry of the evaporation area.4. Increase the surface area of the wafer by adding additional fins or textures. 5. Use a different form of heat transfer, such as conduction or radiation.

Related to Evaporation in a silicon film

What is evaporation in a silicon film?

Evaporation in a silicon film is the process by which a liquid silicon film is converted into a gas or vapor state due to heating or exposure to a vacuum. This process is commonly used in the production of semiconductor devices.

How does evaporation in a silicon film occur?

Evaporation in a silicon film occurs when the energy of the molecules in the liquid film increases, causing them to break free from the surface and enter the gas phase. This process is also known as vaporization.

What are the factors that affect evaporation in a silicon film?

The rate of evaporation in a silicon film is influenced by factors such as temperature, surface area, and pressure. Higher temperatures and larger surface areas can increase the rate of evaporation, while higher pressures can decrease it. Other factors include the type of liquid and the presence of impurities.

What are the applications of evaporation in a silicon film?

Evaporation in a silicon film is commonly used in the production of microchips, solar cells, and other electronic devices. It is also used in the production of thin films for optical coatings, protective layers, and other industrial applications.

What are the potential challenges of evaporation in a silicon film?

One potential challenge of evaporation in a silicon film is the risk of impurities, which can affect the quality and performance of the resulting film. Additionally, controlling the rate of evaporation can be difficult, as it is influenced by various factors. Proper equipment and techniques are necessary to ensure a uniform and high-quality film is produced.