Evil, and the art of architecture

In summary: Why do you think men don't wear high heels? Who do you think invented high heels? :grumpy: :mad: :devil:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Sorry, I lost it.

I really thought there was a connention somewhere, though. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evil architecture or evil architects?

Did you want this deleted?

arildno said:
Sorry, I lost it.

I really thought there was a connention somewhere, though. :frown:

You lost it, or you're losing it? :smile:

:smile:

When I saw the name of this thread, I expected some detailed elaboration of a conspiracy theory by arildno, and all I got was... :-p

Well, I think if we try hard enough we can come up with something involving evil architecture.

I've purchased high heeled shoes before that although initially looked innocent proved to be pure evil.

Evo said:
I've purchased high heeled shoes before that although initially looked innocent proved to be pure evil.

I assume you never learned how to walk in them? :biggrin:

Btw, a friend of mine could literarily run upstairs and downstairs in high heels without breaking her neck. A true genious.

Freemasons evolved from actual masons. that's about as far as it goes.

I used to be a mason's assistant - the guy that has to carry the blocks, bricks, and mortar around.

I was only around 135 pounds when I started and a wheel barrow full of mortar weighs around 300 pounds. I had ramps with banked turns because once I got the wheel barrow going, it wasn't going to stop until the bottom of the basement.

Other, bigger assistants considered the design of those ramps to be pure evil.

radou said:
I assume you never learned how to walk in them? :biggrin:
:devil: Why do you think men don't wear high heels? Who do you think invented high heels? :mad: :devil:

Evo said:
:devil: Why do you think men don't wear high heels? Who do you think invented high heels? :mad: :devil:
I have some 25 year old cowboy boots with stacked leather heels that give a great instep for motorcycle footpegs and are so soft that they are VERY comfortable. Now, I don't for a minute think that I could walk in 3-4" heels, though I have a couple of (short) young female cousins who seem to pull it off with grace. Once, (centuries back) men wore high heels, too.

we should move this to GD

Evo said:

Some people, eh Evo? Next he'll be saying we don't wear dresses!

A thread hath been born, without a purpose fathering it! :smile:

This is how some of the greatest threads were born.

BobG said:
I used to be a mason's assistant - the guy that has to carry the blocks, bricks, and mortar around.
My friend and I built his first house out of rocks that we got by tearing down rock walls that ran through the woods of his father's property. Every night after work, I would head up there and either gather more stones, lay out stones in likely places where they could be incorporated into a wall, etc, until he got out of work, at which time I'd fire up the mixer, get a batch of mortar going and we'd start laying up stone until dusk. At the time, we were both about 130# soaking wet and lots of the rocks weighed more than we did. We had no helpers, and his teenage nephews didn't pitch in, so we built the place by ourselves. It was a small house - only 16x24, but he couldn't afford anything bigger at the time and it would have been tough for us to build anything much bigger in our spare time. By the end of the summer, you would not want to have tangled with either of us. We were both in pretty good shape going into the project, but we were stringy/tough coming out of it. His father was a disabled mason, so his main job was to come up with a Pabst or two and holler mason witticisms like "Lay 'em rough, and joint 'em pretty!"

Evo said:

Huh? I don't think I'm following..

turbo-1 said:
Once, (centuries back) men wore high heels, too.

Really? You mean, like http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/cities/high%20heels.jpg" or so..? Gross. :-p

Last edited by a moderator:
radou said:
Huh? I don't think I'm following..
Really? You mean, like http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/cities/high%20heels.jpg" or so..? Gross. :-p
Well, no. During the 1500s and 1600s French courtiers wore high-heeled shoes to increase their stature, and as a fashion statement. European horsemen adopted riding boots with high heels to provide a more prominent instep to retain the stirrups better in maneuvers, and the modern-day equivalent is the Western cowboy boot, which I feel is superior to the work-boots that a lot of motorcycle riders wear because they are lighter, and more flexible and comfortable, with a more pronounced instep. Other Harley riders I encounter are often wearing clunky black work boots (often with Harley logos on them) - I wear some well-broken-in brown Acme cowboy boots with rubber sole pads (not the traditional pegged leather) for traction. And no, Evo, I do not have a big pot belly and a silver trophy buckle the size of a dinner plate, nor the hat. Just the boots. They're perfect for the task.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
And no, Evo, I do not have a big pot belly and a silver trophy buckle the size of a dinner plate, nor the hat. Just the boots. They're perfect for the task.

:smile::smile:

Guattari's Chaosmosis: An ethico-aesthetic paradigm

These are the beginning lines:

felix guattari said:
Notions of jouissance exist only insofar as they are self-adjoint. There can exist no unambiguous metric while beauty remains a purely transcendental and immutable notion.
Aah, the joys of post-modernism!

Feel free to form discourses of the meaning and non-meaning of this, if you like. :smile:

arildno said:
These are the beginning lines:

Aah, the joys of post-modernism!

Feel free to form discourses of the meaning and non-meaning of this, if you like. :smile:

You are an evil Norweed. :devil:

Evo said:
You are an evil Norweed. :devil:
That may be, but:
I want my birthday present tomorrow, all the same.

arildno said:
That may be, but:
I want my birthday present tomorrow, all the same.
Oooh, happy early birthday!

thanks so much!:smile:
Happy Birthday!

arildno said:
There can exist no unambiguous metric while beauty remains a purely transcendental and immutable notion.

No, some beauty can be measured. The ISO standard unit is a milli-helen

This is the amount of beauty capable of causing the launching of a single ship

Happy Birthday

Andre said:
No, some beauty can be measured. The ISO standard unit is a milli-helen

Happy Birthday

That's a very ambiguous metric.

How big a ship are we talking about here? The Greeks may have had over a 1,000 ships (probably over 1100?), but the size varied greatly. The crews ranged from 50 to 120 in various size ships.

If you made some very questionable assumptions that each size of ship was equally likely, you could say a milli-helen was the amount of beauty required to launch a 90' ship with an 85 man crew, but you'd virtually be attaching a number just for the sake of attaching a number.

In today's world, I'd still have trouble converting that. Does it require 12 millihelens of beauty to launch a 1,092' Nimitz class carrier or 66 millihelens to launch a Nimitz class carrier manned by a crew of 5600?

Personally, I'd rate the beauty of the women in the PF sisterhood as being in the 1.5 kiloNimitz range.

Related to Evil, and the art of architecture

1. What is the connection between evil and the art of architecture?

The connection between evil and the art of architecture is often explored in literature, philosophy, and other forms of media. Some argue that architecture can be used as a tool for evil, as it can be used to oppress and control people. Others believe that architecture can reflect the moral values of a society, and therefore, can be used to promote good or evil.

2. How has architecture been used to perpetrate evil acts?

Throughout history, architecture has been used to perpetrate evil acts in various ways. For example, oppressive governments have used grand and intimidating architecture to instill fear and control over their citizens. Architecture has also been used to segregate and discriminate against certain groups of people, such as in the case of apartheid in South Africa.

3. Can architecture be a force for good in the face of evil?

Yes, architecture can be a powerful force for good in the face of evil. In times of conflict or natural disasters, architecture can be used to provide shelter and refuge for those in need. It can also be used to promote social justice and equality, as seen in the work of architects who design affordable housing for marginalized communities.

4. Are there any specific architectural styles associated with evil?

There is no specific architectural style that is inherently associated with evil. However, some may argue that certain styles, such as brutalist architecture, can evoke a sense of fear and intimidation. Ultimately, it is the intentions and actions of those who use architecture that determine whether it is associated with evil or not.

5. How can we use architecture to prevent or combat evil?

Architecture can be used as a tool to prevent or combat evil by promoting inclusivity, equality, and social justice. This can be achieved through thoughtful and intentional design that considers the needs and well-being of all individuals. Additionally, architects can use their skills and expertise to advocate for positive change and challenge systems that perpetuate evil.