Excel Date Formats: Solving Ambiguity Problems

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary: Excel switches it to 05/11/2019 again! Is there any way to make it stick to the number I typed in?There is no way to make Excel always display the date as you want it to. If you want the date to always display as you typed it in, you will need to either change your international settings or use Cells -> Format -> Number and select dd/mm/yyyy.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I want my dates to appear in the format dd/mm/yyyy, so I set the cell to Category: Date, Type: English (United Kingdom). I type in 3/4/2019 (3 April 2019), and Excel converts it to 04/03/2019. What is going on?
The summary is complete to describe the problem, but to forestall the solution to either (a) leave the Category : "number" and just type what I want, or (b) put the Type as "English(United States)" and type 3/4/2019, I mention why these solutions would create difficulties: a person to whom I will send the spreadsheet will then link the cells to another spread sheet in order to determine data for that day, and an ambiguity would cause problems.

Computer science news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
Summary:: I want my dates to appear in the format dd/mm/yyyy, so I set the cell to Category: Date, Type: English (United Kingdom). I type in 3/4/2019 (3 April 2019), and Excel converts it to 04/03/2019. What is going on?

The summary is complete to describe the problem, but to forestall the solution to either (a) leave the Category : "number" and just type what I want, or (b) put the Type as "English(United States)" and type 3/4/2019, I mention why these solutions would create difficulties: a person to whom I will send the spreadsheet will then link the cells to another spread sheet in order to determine data for that day, and an ambiguity would cause problems.
Excel is formatting the date according to the locale. With English (United Kingdom) as the locale, it displays the date in mm/dd/yyyy format. If you change the locale to English(United States), the same date will be displayed in dd/mm/yyyy format.

• Informative
Likes phinds and nomadreid
Thanks, Mark44. I can do that, but I am curious: since the British use dd/mm/yyyy in everyday life, and the Americans use mm/dd/yyyy in everyday life, why does Excel switch these?

nomadreid said:
why does Excel switch these?
Excel stores the date internally in a universal format. By default it will use the user's "international settings" (essentially the equivalent of a "locale" in Unix-like systems) to display the date to a user in the format he expects. To override this you can explicitly set the format of the cell to dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy using Cells -> Format -> Format Cells -> Number. The options shown under Date that are prefixed with a * are taken from your international settings and may display differently on another PC, the ones that have no * should be the same anywhere so select dd/mm/yyyy (or better still yyyy-mm-dd) if you want everyone to see the same thing.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, pbuk.

xAh, apparently there is more to it: I tried the following experiment. I chose the language of the country I am in (which uses dd/mm/yyyy), selected a dd/mm/yyyy from the menu choices, and put in 23/05/2019. That works. But then (in the same box, without changing the settings) I changed the "23" to "11" so that I would expect 11/05/2019 (11 May 2019 as desired) but EXCEL automatically switched it to 05/11/2019 (which then reads as 05 November, which I don't want) -- although it did not change my settings. That is, if it can switch it to the American format (since 23 can't be a month, but 11 can), it will. How can I override this?

To compound the weirdness, the date 11 May 2019 stays as I typed in, 11/05/2019, in the field up at the top (where fx appears to the left), but is switched in the cell.

Last edited:
I sympathize with the Excel authors. Over the years there have been many "bugs" reported that turn out to be just violations of personal preference. If you think Excel behaves in a non-intuitive way, there's a good chance that other people think it is intuitive.

There is no single answer that makes all people happy. A menu asking you to choose your preference on 300 questions is not welcome either. Perhaps selecting country, is as close as they can get.

nomadreid said:
xAh, apparently there is more to it: I tried the following experiment. I chose the language of the country I am in (which uses dd/mm/yyyy), selected a dd/mm/yyyy from the menu choices, and put in 23/05/2019. That works. But then (in the same box, without changing the settings) I changed the "23" to "11" so that I would expect 11/05/2019 (11 May 2019 as desired) but EXCEL automatically switched it to 05/11/2019 (which then reads as 05 November, which I don't want) -- although it did not change my settings. That is, if it can switch it to the American format (since 23 can't be a month, but 11 can), it will. How can I override this?

To compound the weirdness, the date 11 May 2019 stays as I typed in, 11/05/2019, in the field up at the top (where fx appears to the left), but is switched in the cell.
I'm not sure if you can override this behaviour, this is Excel trying to be 'helpful', and it gets even stranger than that: type 5/23 into cells with various different formats. Sometimes it will guess 23 May 2020 and sometimes 1 May 2023!

In practice this is less of a problem - always use an unambiguous display format (I use either d mmm yyyy or yyyy-mm-dd), and if you are relying on user input that may not be checked, use separate cells for day, month and year and combine them in a formula.

Likes nomadreid and anorlunda
Thanks for the interesting suggestions, pbuk.

I don't quite see how the d mmm yyyy suggestion would work if d>9, though.

The separate cell idea is one I will use when I rely on user input (not the case that I am dealing with now, but in the future...)

Another alternative that I might end up using is to bow to this "helpful" insidious Americanization, use the imposed format, put a large warning at the beginning of the spread sheet that all dates are of this format, and let the other users handle the hassle when they link with a reference that uses a more standard format. Not ideal, but I may follow the path of least resistance ("Resistance is futile") if I don't find a way to override this "helpful" behaviour. Ugh.

nomadreid said:
I don't quite see how the d mmm yyyy suggestion would work if d>9, though.
It displays 10 as 10 and 9 as 9 rather than 09 - works for m too, and also h, m and s (with m now meaning minutes - how many problems does that ambiguity cause!)

One final suggestion: if you use =TEXT(a1, "dd/mm/yy") it should ignore any internationaltrickery, you will have to use a separate cell to store the value though.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks for the great suggestions, pbuk, and also thanks for the explanations.

In the meantime I settled on the following solution (but will keep your suggestions in mind for the future, or if my present solution goes "splat" upon arrival): I found that if I select "English (United States)", then it let's me type in whatever I want without interfering (except that it will switch "09/02/2019" to "9/2/2019 -- although it will keep "12/02/2019"as is. The pattern is clear, even though annoying.)

Of course if the receiver were to ask EXCEL to convert it to a format that names which number represents the month, then the wrong result would come out, so I just have to caution the receiver about this if he tries to manipulate the entries. However, merely printed out or viewed on the screen, the spread sheet now shows the desired format (if I am not fussy about zeros).

1. What is meant by "Excel Date Formats: Solving Ambiguity Problems"?

"Excel Date Formats: Solving Ambiguity Problems" refers to the various ways in which dates can be entered and displayed in Microsoft Excel, and the potential confusion that can arise when different date formats are used.

2. Why is it important to properly format dates in Excel?

Properly formatting dates in Excel is important because it allows for accurate and consistent data analysis. When dates are entered in different formats, it can lead to errors or discrepancies in calculations and comparisons.

3. What are some common date formats in Excel?

Some common date formats in Excel include mm/dd/yyyy, dd/mm/yyyy, and yyyy-mm-dd. These formats can also include variations such as using slashes, dashes, or periods as separators between the month, day, and year.

4. How can I solve ambiguity problems with Excel date formats?

To solve ambiguity problems with Excel date formats, it is important to ensure that all dates in a dataset are formatted consistently. This can be done by using the "Format Cells" option in Excel and selecting a specific date format, or by using the TEXT function to convert dates to a specific format.

5. Can Excel handle international date formats?

Yes, Excel is able to handle international date formats. However, it is important to note that the default date format in Excel may differ depending on the region or language settings of the computer. It is recommended to specify the desired date format when entering dates in Excel to avoid ambiguity problems.