Excel: Entering empty cells with function

In summary, to set up a function with an if command that copies values greater than zero from another column and leaves the rest of the cells empty, use an if statement and the formula "=IF(A1>0,A1,"")".
24forChromium
How can I set up a function with an if command such that it only copies values greater than zero from another column while leave the rest of the cells empty (not zero)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
24forChromium said:
How can I set up a function with an if command such that it only copies values greater than zero from another column while leave the rest of the cells empty (not zero)?
Use an if statement like this. To copy the value of cell A1, use this in the cell that you want it copied to.
=IF(A1>0,A1,"")

http://www.exceltrick.com/formulas_macros/excel-if-statement/

1. What is the purpose of entering empty cells with a function in Excel?

Entering empty cells with a function in Excel allows users to perform calculations and manipulate data more efficiently by automatically filling in empty cells with a specific formula or function.

2. How do I enter an empty cell with a function in Excel?

To enter an empty cell with a function in Excel, first select the cell where you want the function to appear. Then, type the "=" sign followed by the function name and its arguments. Press Enter to apply the function to the selected cell.

3. Can I enter multiple empty cells with a function at once in Excel?

Yes, you can enter multiple empty cells with a function at once in Excel by selecting a range of cells and then entering the function as you normally would. The function will be applied to all selected cells.

4. What happens if I enter an empty cell with a function that contains errors?

If you enter an empty cell with a function that contains errors, the cell will display the error message and the function will not be applied. You can troubleshoot the error by checking the function's arguments and making sure they are correct.

5. Is it possible to edit or change the function in an empty cell in Excel?

Yes, you can edit or change the function in an empty cell in Excel by clicking on the cell and making any necessary changes to the function's arguments. You can also delete the function by clearing the cell contents.