Excel graphing problems with a Physics lab

In summary, the student is trying to graph data from a lab on spherical lenses, but is having trouble getting the graph to match the instructor's sketch. They have tried using a scatter plot, but it still gives them a linear graph. They are considering trying to graph the data manually and may post the data for others to help with suggestions.
BrewDaddy

Homework Statement

I have two columns of data to graph from a lab we did on spherical lenses. The instructor showed a quick and dirty sketch of what our graph should look like - a decreasing curve. My data plots as an increasing linear graph. If I flip the x-axis data top to bottom I can get it to look like the instructor said it should, but I'm kinda stumped. Any suggestions? I can supply the data if needed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello BrewDaddy,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

If one column is for the x-axis and the other column is for the y-axis, do not choose a "Line" chart in Excel. Doing so will plot the column linearly, with equally spaced points on the x-axis, which is not what you would want in this case (it would essentially ignore your unique x-axis data).

Instead (if you have your own x-axis data), use the "Scatter" plot option. That let's you plot (x, y) data points. You can still connect the data points with lines if you want.

Thanks for the welcome! I have already tried the scatterplot method, but it still gives me the linear graph. I'm starting to think that the instructor was mistaken in his sketch of what the graph should look like - maybe he got mixed up with the graph from a different lab - we've done quite a few of them. I'm going to give it a shot the old fashioned pencil and graph paper way and see what I get. If I still get the same result I'll post the data and see if anyone can come up with any ideas. It's only 20 data points or so.

BD

Related to Excel graphing problems with a Physics lab

1. Why is my graph not showing the expected trend in my Physics lab data?

There could be several reasons for this. First, check your data and make sure it is accurate and entered correctly. Next, check your graph settings and make sure the correct variables are selected for the x and y axes. It is also important to ensure that the data is being plotted correctly, such as using the correct graph type (line, scatter, etc.) for your data. Finally, check for any errors or outliers in your data that may be affecting the overall trend.

2. How can I add error bars to my Excel graph for my Physics lab data?

To add error bars to your graph, select the data points on your graph and then click on the "Layout" tab. From there, click on "Error Bars" and select the type of error bars you would like to add (standard deviation, standard error, etc.). You can also customize the error bars by clicking on "More Error Bar Options" and adjusting the settings.

3. My graph is not scaling properly. How can I fix this?

If your graph is not scaling properly, try adjusting the minimum and maximum values for each axis. You can do this by right-clicking on the axis and selecting "Format Axis." From there, you can manually enter the minimum and maximum values or choose to have Excel automatically determine the best scale for your data.

4. Can I change the color or style of my data points on the graph?

Yes, you can change the color, size, and style of your data points by right-clicking on them and selecting "Format Data Series." From there, you can choose from a variety of options to customize the appearance of your data points.

5. How do I add a trendline to my Excel graph for my Physics lab data?

To add a trendline, select your data points on the graph and then click on the "Layout" tab. From there, click on "Trendline" and select the type of trendline you would like to add (linear, exponential, etc.). You can also customize the trendline by right-clicking on it and selecting "Format Trendline."