Can an electron remain in an exited state forever with constant energy input?

In summary: That is certainly true. Given the original question, I leapt to the conclusion that a resonant transition was a possibility, and certainly not totally irrelevant to the response provided by Drakkith.
medammari
TL;DR Summary
what will happend if I keep giving the same amount of energy, constant in time to an electron?
Will it stay at the excited state forever
what will happend if I keep giving the same amount of energy, constant in time to an electron? Will it stay at the exited state forever

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're referring to electrons in their atomic/molecular orbitals, then no, an electron in an excited state will move to an even higher energy state if it absorbs energy. You could, however, make it jump to an excited state, wait for it to transition back down, and then make it jump back up to its excited state again. This is how several devices such as lasers and LED's work.

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
medammari said:
TL;DR Summary: what will happend if I keep giving the same amount of energy, constant in time to an electron?
An electron bound to an atom or molecule can only increase its energy in discrete quanta. The classical notion of continuous energy input does not apply at the atomic or molecular level.
medammari said:
Will it stay at the excited state forever
There was a post recently about some clever idea to prevent radioactive decay by almost continuously resetting the quantum state of the object by repeated measurements - but I can't find the thread.

What you could ask is whether by a clever experimental set-up you could sustain an atom in an excited state almost indefinitely? I don't know the answer to that.
medammari said:
what will happend if I keep giving the same amount of energy, constant in time to an electron? Will it stay at the exited state forever
If you keep giving the electron more energy, then eventually you will ionise the atom or molecule.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
There was a post recently about some clever idea to prevent radioactive decay by almost continuously resetting the quantum state of the object by repeated measurements - but I can't find the thread.
I guess you mean the thread: Geiger counters and measurement. We certainly had fun. Just like this thread, it was a question from a first time poster. But were allowed to have fun and dive into those technical details, because the thread level was "I: intermediate".

Drakkith said:
You could, however, make it jump to an excited state, wait for it to transition back down, and then make it jump back up to its excited state again. This is how several devices such as lasers and LED's work.
Except that lasers have to work with more than one excited state, both for theoretical and practical reasons. And LED's just work like a waterfall, no need to bring the water back up to the higher level, new water at the higher level will keep floating in anyway.
medammari said:
what will happend if I keep giving the same amount of energy, constant in time to an electron
Giving the same amount of energy to the same electron is only possible in a thought experiment. In actual practical devices (and also in real experiments), more manipulations of details of quantum states of small systems like molecules, ions, electrons, or even photons are possible, compared to what a layman or even a physics freshman would believe. But still, there remain fundamental restrictions of which manipulations are possible ("for theoretical and practical reasons"), just like in the case of lasers.

• Informative
Likes Drakkith, vanhees71 and PeroK
Hyperfine said:
Sure. but this still only work if the frequency matches that of the transition frequency between the ground and exitcted state.
Under "normal" situations (i.e. the field is not extremely strong) nothing will happens if that is not the case.

f95toli said:
Sure. but this still only work if the frequency matches that of the transition frequency between the ground and exitcted state.
Under "normal" situations (i.e. the field is not extremely strong) nothing will happens if that is not the case.
That is certainly true. Given the original question, I leapt to the conclusion that a resonant transition was a possibility, and certainly not totally irrelevant to the response provided by Drakkith.

1. What is excitation of an electron?

Excitation of an electron is a process in which an electron gains energy and moves to a higher energy level or orbital within an atom or molecule.

2. How is an electron excited?

An electron can be excited by absorbing energy in the form of heat, light, or electricity. This extra energy causes the electron to jump to a higher energy level.

3. What happens to an electron after it is excited?

After an electron is excited, it will eventually return to its original, lower energy level. This can occur through the emission of a photon of light or by transferring its energy to another particle.

4. What is the significance of electron excitation?

Electron excitation plays a crucial role in various natural and technological processes. It is the basis of light emission in fluorescent bulbs and LEDs, as well as the absorption of light in photosynthesis.

5. How is electron excitation studied in scientific research?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study electron excitation, such as spectroscopy, which involves measuring the energy of emitted or absorbed photons. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the behavior of excited electrons in different systems.