Exothermic Reactions: Heat Packs & Sodium Acetate

In summary: The heat is released quickly and can be felt for approximately 30 minutes. Larger heat pads have a longer heat retention period, likely due to their size and the amount of reactants present. Adding an insulator to the heat pack may prolong the heat, but it would also decrease its temperature. It is likely that the chemical reaction is active for the entire duration of the heat release, as indicated by testing with old heat packs. This can also be observed by the quick release of heat and the relatively short duration of the reaction.
scottstown
Hello,

There is something that has been puzzling me. Sorry if I don't use the correct terminology, this is not my field.

When a heat pack made of sodium acetate starts its exothermic reaction, does it release heat for only 15 seconds, but feels hot for ~30 minutes because the sodium acetate solution is acting as an insulator?

Or

When a sodium acetate exothermic reaction starts, does the chemical reaction happen for then entire length of the ~30mins.

If the sodium acetate solution is acting like an insulator, could another material be added to maintain the heat for longer?

Also, larger sized heat pads stay hot longer, is that due to size or reaction?

Thank you in advance for any help on the question,
Scott

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think that anyone actually knows this for sure. You'd have to know the rate of the reaction. I'm certain that it is a little bit of both.

As to adding an insulator to make the heat last longer, you could do that, but then it wouldn't be so hot, would it?

I'd imagine the chemical reaction is active during almost the total time, because those thermal packs don't have much thermal mass. You can test this by taking an old pack, heating it up "manually" (e.g., in a plastic bag dipped in hot water, or in an oven), and seeing how long it takes to cool down. This time corresponds approximately to the time the pack would stay hot after the reactants are depleted.

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your interest in exothermic reactions and heat packs. I would be happy to answer your questions and provide some clarification.

Firstly, an exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat. In the case of heat packs, the reaction between sodium acetate and water is exothermic and releases heat. This heat is then used to warm up the pack and provide heat therapy.

To answer your first question, the heat released by the exothermic reaction of sodium acetate and water is not limited to just 15 seconds. The reaction continues for the entire duration of the pack's heating process, which is usually around 30 minutes. However, the heat may feel more intense in the first 15 seconds because that is when the reaction is at its most vigorous.

Regarding the feeling of heat lasting for around 30 minutes, this is due to the properties of sodium acetate solution. As the solution cools down, it solidifies and releases heat. This is known as a supercooling process, and it is what allows the heat pack to stay warm for an extended period.

It is possible to add other materials to the heat pack to maintain the heat for longer, but this would depend on the specific materials and their ability to conduct or retain heat.

The duration of heat provided by a heat pack is influenced by both its size and the reaction taking place. A larger heat pack will have more material to react and release heat, thus providing heat for a longer time. However, the reaction itself also plays a significant role in determining the duration of heat.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. If you have any further inquiries, please feel free to ask.
Best regards,

1. What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases heat. This can be observed through an increase in temperature of the surrounding environment or the production of light or sound.

2. How do heat packs work?

Heat packs contain a mixture of chemicals, such as sodium acetate and water, that undergo an exothermic reaction when activated. This reaction releases heat, which is trapped within the pack and can be felt when the pack is applied to the body.

3. What is sodium acetate and why is it used in heat packs?

Sodium acetate is a salt that is commonly used in heat packs because it has a high heat capacity, meaning it can store a large amount of heat. When it crystallizes, it releases a significant amount of energy, making it useful for exothermic reactions.

4. Can heat packs be reused?

Some heat packs can be reused by boiling them in water to dissolve the crystallized sodium acetate back into solution. However, this may not be effective for all types of heat packs and it is important to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using heat packs?

While heat packs are generally safe to use, it is important to follow the instructions provided and not to overheat or puncture the pack. If the pack is accidentally punctured, the chemicals inside can cause irritation to the skin, so it is important to dispose of it properly.