Expanding (i) and Solving (ii): Find the Solution

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expanding
In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative approach for finding the values of a and b in a simultaneous equation problem involving the expansion of (4-x)^(-1/2). Part (i) expands the equation and part (ii) uses this expansion to find the values of a and b. The alternative approach involves substituting x=0 directly. This approach is deemed acceptable and results in the same values for a and b.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached problem with ms
Relevant Equations
binomial theorem
Find question here and ms... In part ##i## we could just as well expand directly hence reason why i am sharing...

1652569825633.png
1652569864876.png

1652569923412.png

My direct expansion for part (i),

$$(4-x)^{-\frac{1}{2}} =4^{-\frac{1}{2}}+\frac{(\frac{-1}{2}⋅4^{-\frac{3}{2}}⋅-x)}{1!}+\frac {(\frac{3}{2}⋅\frac{1}{2}⋅4^-\frac{5}{2}⋅(-x)^2)}{2!}=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{16}x+\frac{3}{256}x^2+...$$

part (ii) follows directly from (i),

##(a+bx)(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{16}x+\frac{3}{256}x^2+...)=16-x...##
##\frac{1}{2}a+\frac{1}{16}ax+\frac{3}{256}ax^2+\frac{1}{2}bx+\frac{1}{16}bx^2+\frac{3}{256}bx^3+...=16-x...##

giving us the two simultaneous equations indicated. cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As an alternative way
[tex](\frac{a+bx}{\sqrt{4-x}})_{x=0}=\frac{a}{2}=16[/tex]
a=32
[tex](\frac{32+bx}{\sqrt{4-x}})'_{x=0}=\frac{b+4}{2}=-1[/tex]
b=-6

Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
As an alternative way
[tex](\frac{a+bx}{\sqrt{4-x}})_{x=0}=\frac{a}{2}=16[/tex]
a=32
[tex](\frac{32+bx}{\sqrt{4-x}})'_{x=0}=\frac{b+4}{2}=-1[/tex]
b=-6
Smart move there @anuttarasammyak ...just wondering if this approach would be acceptable, i.e substituting ##x=0## directly ... are we not supposed to make use of part (i) though?

I can see that its a B mark, thus acceptable...cheers

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of expanding and solving equations?

The purpose of expanding and solving equations is to simplify and find the solution to a given mathematical expression. This process allows us to manipulate equations and expressions to make them easier to work with and solve.

2. How do you expand an equation?

To expand an equation, you need to use the distributive property, which states that a(b + c) = ab + ac. This means that you need to multiply each term inside the parentheses by the term outside the parentheses. Then, combine like terms to simplify the expression.

3. What is the difference between expanding and solving an equation?

Expanding an equation involves manipulating and simplifying the expression, while solving an equation involves finding the value of the variable that makes the equation true. In other words, expanding is a step towards solving an equation.

4. What are some common strategies for solving equations?

Some common strategies for solving equations include isolating the variable by using inverse operations, combining like terms, and using the distributive property. You can also check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to see if it makes the equation true.

5. Can you solve an equation without expanding it first?

Yes, in some cases, you can solve an equation without expanding it first. For example, if the equation has a common factor that can be factored out, you can use the distributive property in reverse to simplify the expression. However, expanding the equation first can often make the solving process easier and more straightforward.