Expanding triple (cross) product

In summary, the conversation discusses using the bac-cab rule to expand a triple product, and how to obtain the elementary formula for angular momentum if r is perpendicular to ω. The process for using the bac-cab rule is explained, and a mistake in the attempt at a solution is corrected. The concept of dot products and how they affect the distribution of vectors is also discussed.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

Use (the bac-cab rule) to expand this triple product:L = mr x (ω x r)

If r is perpendicular to ω, show that you obtain the elementary formula, angular momentum = mvr.

(The bold letters are vectors.)

Homework Equations

A X (B X C) = (A[itex]\cdot[/itex]C)B - (A[itex]\cdot[/itex]B)C

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, simply doing the bac-cab rule, I get

(mr [itex]\cdot[/itex]ω)r - (mr [itex]\cdot[/itex]r)ω

Which isn't even close to the answer in the book, which is:

L=m[r2ω-(ω [itex]\cdot[/itex]r)r]

No idea how they got that.

Even if I distribute the r, they don't have it distributed to the ω, and on the right term, they don't distribute the ω. I don't understand.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, simply doing the bac-cab rule, I get

(mr [itex]\cdot[/itex]ω)r - (mr [itex]\cdot[/itex]r)ω
This is wrong, going by the rule we get
m[(r.r)ω-(r.ω)r]
On simplification we'll get the answer...
Regards

Abhilash H N said:
This is wrong, going by the rule we get
m[(r.r)ω-(r.ω)r]
On simplification we'll get the answer...
Regards

OK yeah I lost track of which one was A, B, and C.

But this is what I get:
(mr[itex]\cdot[/itex]r)ω-(mr[itex]\cdot[/itex]ω)r

r[itex]\cdot[/itex]r simplifies to r2 because it's the vector dotted into itself, which produces the magnitude of that vector squared?

And according to the solution, why didn't they distribute the r through the parentheses in the second term?

Thanks.

What specifically do you mean by "distribute the r through the parentheses"?

vela said:
What specifically do you mean by "distribute the r through the parentheses"?

Oh ok, so that r isn't allowed to go into the parentheses until the r is dotted into the ω?

I guess I still don't know what you're trying to do. ##\vec{\omega}\cdot\vec{r}## is a scalar, and the result of the product multiplies ##\vec{r}##. By pulling ##\vec{r}## into the parentheses, what do you intend to accomplish?

Related to Expanding triple (cross) product

1. What is an expanding triple (cross) product?

An expanding triple (cross) product is a mathematical operation that takes three vectors as input and produces a new vector as output. It is also known as the triple vector product or the scalar triple product. It is calculated by taking the cross product of two vectors and then taking the dot product of the result with a third vector.

2. What is the formula for calculating an expanding triple (cross) product?

The formula for calculating an expanding triple (cross) product is (A x B) ⋅ C, where A, B, and C are three vectors. This can also be written as (A x B) ⋅ C = |A| |B| |C| sinθ, where |A|, |B|, and |C| are the magnitudes of the vectors and θ is the angle between vectors A and B.

3. What is the significance of an expanding triple (cross) product in physics?

An expanding triple (cross) product is significant in physics because it is used to calculate the moment of a force, which is an important concept in mechanics. It is also used in the calculation of torque, which is a measure of the twisting force on an object.

4. How is an expanding triple (cross) product related to the cross product?

An expanding triple (cross) product is a combination of two cross products. The first cross product is calculated between two vectors, and the second cross product is calculated between the result of the first cross product and a third vector. This produces a new vector that is perpendicular to the original three vectors.

5. What are some practical applications of an expanding triple (cross) product?

An expanding triple (cross) product has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in the calculation of angular momentum, magnetic force, and electric potential. It is also used in vector calculus and geometry to solve problems involving three-dimensional space. In engineering, it is used in robotics, computer graphics, and control systems.