Expansion and elasticity of brines

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate brine density using temperature, pressure, and salinity. The individual mentions finding information on the relationship between density and pressure and temperature, but is missing two parameters specifically for brines. They are ideally looking for an equation or tables that take into account pressure, temperature, and salinity, with their known variables being 7 wt% salinity, 400 bars of pressure, and 141°C temperature. They also mention the need for the β and E parameters, with β being the average temperature between 0°C and 141°C. They may be able to compare their calculation with an equation-of-state from an article on sodium chloride brine density, but the publication has an image with
Sorade
Hello,

I am currently looking at a way to calculate brine density using temperature, pressure and salinity.
I found the following page which describes the change in fluid density with pressure and temperature :
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fluid-density-temperature-pressure-d_309.html

However I am missing two parameters which I haven't been able to find for brines:
- β = volumetric temperature expansion coefficient (m3/m3 oC)
- E = bulk modulus fluid elasticity (N/m2)

Ideally I would need to find an equation which takes in pressure, temperature and salinity which are my known variables. Or tables, the salinity of my brine is 7 wt%, the pressure around 400 bars and the temperature of 141 °C . Note: Since the temperature used to work out β is the average between 0 °C and 141 °C, I would be looking for β at 70.5 °C.

Thank you for your help

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You may be able to compare your calculation with that determined by the formula in this article:
http://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-99/issue-52/drilling-production/method-determines-brine-density-for-hpht-wells
The authors present a pressure-density-temperature dependent equation-of-state for sodium chloride brine. Workers can calculate the equation's empirical coefficients, as functions of the brine weight concentration (W).
The image depicting the equation and parameters seems to be deliberately illegible low res in the online version of the publication. :oldmad:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes brines to expand?

Brines, or salty water solutions, expand due to changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration. These changes can disrupt the balance of forces within the brine, causing the molecules to spread out and take up more space.

2. How does the expansion of brines affect their density?

As brines expand, their density decreases. This is because the same amount of salt is now spread out over a larger volume, resulting in a decrease in concentration and therefore a decrease in density.

3. What is the relationship between the expansion of brines and their freezing point?

The expansion of brines is directly related to their freezing point. As brines expand, their freezing point decreases. This is because the expansion causes the concentration of salt to decrease, making it more difficult for the water molecules to form ice crystals.

4. Can the expansion of brines cause damage to structures?

Yes, the expansion of brines can cause damage to structures. This is especially true in colder climates where brines are used to de-ice roads and sidewalks. As the brines freeze and expand, they can cause cracks and damage to the pavement.

5. How is elasticity related to the expansion of brines?

Elasticity refers to the ability of a material to return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed. Brines exhibit a high level of elasticity, meaning they can expand and contract without permanently changing their volume. This is important in industries such as oil and gas, where brines are used in drilling and production processes.