Calculating Specific Gravity of Brine at High Pressure and Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of brine salinity values in ppm to brine density. The speaker mentions using ppm * SG = mg/L, but is unsure of how to determine the Specific Gravity (SG) of the brine. They also mention that most available data only refers to seawater and they are dealing with brines at high pressure and temperatures. They inquire about an equation to calculate SG based on pressure, temperature, and salinity and suggest using tables or a CASC concentration calculator.
Sorade
Hello all,

I am currently trying to convert brine salinity values in ppm to the corresponding brine density.

My understanding is that I can do that using ppm * SG = mg/L . However I do not know how to get the Specific Gravity (SG) of my brine. The data I try to convert has a minimum value of 0ppm, a maximum value of 600,000 ppm and a mean of 118,000 ppm.

My understanding is that I can't simply assume that SG = 1 because I have high salinities. Most of the data I can find only refers to seawater and I am dealing with brines at high pressure and temperatures. I was therefore wondering if there was an equation to get SG in function of pressure, temperature and salinity.

Thank you for your help !

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Best approach: tables. Published and not that difficult to google.

Such tables are built into my CASC concentration calculator, which does the conversion between density and concentration on the fly, as you enter the data. It is a commercial product, but with a free 30-days trial.

1. What is specific gravity?

Specific gravity is a measure of the density of a substance compared to the density of water. It is a unitless value that is typically expressed as a decimal number.

2. How is specific gravity of a brine calculated?

The specific gravity of a brine is calculated by dividing the density of the brine by the density of pure water at the same temperature. This calculation can be done using a hydrometer or by using the formula SG = ρ/ρw, where SG is specific gravity, ρ is the density of the brine, and ρw is the density of pure water.

3. What factors can affect the specific gravity of a brine?

The specific gravity of a brine can be affected by temperature, salinity, and the concentration of dissolved solids in the brine. Higher temperatures and higher concentrations of dissolved solids will result in a higher specific gravity, while higher salinity may result in a lower specific gravity.

4. Why is specific gravity important in brine solutions?

Specific gravity is important in brine solutions because it can help determine the concentration of dissolved solids, which can impact the properties and behavior of the brine. It can also be used to monitor the purity and quality of the brine solution.

5. How is specific gravity used in industrial processes?

Specific gravity is used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and food products. It is also used in oil and gas drilling and production to determine the density of drilling fluids and brines used in wellbore stability and completion operations.