Expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for calculating the expectation value, particularly when dealing with the exponential function. The use of Taylor series and the relation between the operator L_z and the state vector are mentioned as potential solutions. Finally, it is suggested to expand the original expression and compress it back to the desired form.
isochore
Homework Statement
Find ## \langle l, m \vert \exp((a+ bi)L_z) \vert l, m \rangle ##
Relevant Equations
## L_z \vert l, m \rangle = \hbar m \vert l, m \rangle ##
## [L_x, L_y] = i \hbar L_z ##
I am struggling to figure out how to calculate the expectation value because I am finding it hard to do something with the exponential. I tried using Euler's formula and some commutator relations, but I am always left with some term like ##\exp(L_z)## that I am not sure how to get rid of.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Transport said:
Taylor series for the exponent...

Ahh, not sure why I did not think of that...

So you can expand starting with the original expression ## \langle l, m \vert \exp((a+bi)L_z) \vert l, m \rangle ##, then since ##L_z = \hbar m \vert l, m \rangle## you can simply compress back into something like ## \exp (\hbar m (a+bi)) ##?

Looks correct...

1. What is the expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent?

The expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent is a measure of the average value that can be expected for the angular momentum of a quantum system when it is in a state described by a complex exponential function.

2. How is the expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent calculated?

The expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent is calculated by taking the integral of the complex exponential function multiplied by the angular momentum operator over all possible states of the system.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent?

The expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent is significant because it provides information about the average value of the system's angular momentum, which is a fundamental property in quantum mechanics. It also helps to determine the probability of obtaining a particular measurement of the angular momentum in the system.

4. How does the expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in that it helps to determine the minimum uncertainty in the measurement of the angular momentum of a quantum system. This uncertainty is represented by the standard deviation of the expectation value.

5. Can the expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of an angular momentum with a complex exponent can be negative. This means that the average value of the angular momentum in the system is in the opposite direction to the direction of the angular momentum operator. However, the magnitude of the expectation value is more important in determining the properties of the system.