Expectation value of the square of Momentum

In summary: I'm not sure how to be sure where exactly the error is.In summary, the expectation value of the operator <P^2> is given by -ħ^2∫ψ* ∂^2ψ/∂x^2 dx, where ψ(x)=(1/(π^1/4)(√d))e^-((x^2)/(2d^2)) is a Gaussian wave-packet and the limits on the integral are ∞ to -∞. The attempt at solving this problem involved calculating the second derivative of ψ, factoring out ψ from the integrand, and simplifying the remaining integral. However, there may have been a misprint in the problem statement
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

The expectation value of <P^2>= -ħ∫ψ* ∂^2ψ/∂x^2 dx
For the Guassian wave-packet ψ(x)=(1/(π^1/4)(√d))e^-((x^2)/(2d^2))
Limits on all integrals are ∞ to -∞.

Homework Equations

<P^2>= -ħ∫ψ* ∂^2ψ/∂x^2 dx
ψ(x)=(1/(π^1/4)(√d))e^(iKx)-((x^2)/(2d^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, the previous question was to calculate <P> given <P>=-iħ∫ψ* ∂ψ/∂x dx. I did this by calculating the partial derivative of ψ and then taking the integral of ψ* ∂ψ/∂x, then multiplying by -iħ, I got the result <P>=ħK which seemed to make sense. So I tried to take the same method to this question;
Firstly working out the second derivative of ψ, since I already know the first derivative from the first question, I simply differentiated again and found it to be the following

∂^2ψ/∂x^2 = (∂ψ/∂x)(iK-(x/d^2))-(1/d^2)ψ Used Product rule, Plugged ∂ψ/∂x and ψ back in for simplicity.

Next I simplified the Integrand by factoring out ψ.
Giving the integral -iħ∫((x^2)/(d^4))-((2iKx)/(d^2))-(K^2)-(1/(d^2))ψ*ψ dx
I from the previous question that ψ*ψ is (1/((√π)(d)))e^-((x^2)/(d^2)).

So I split this into the sum of 4 separate integrals, two had x values multipied by e^-x values, I concluded that when plugging in infinited these would each go to zero.
so left with two integrals,
<P^2>=(-ħ/((√π)(d)))(-K^2∫e^-((x^2)/(d^2))-1/(d^2) ∫e^-((x^2)/(d^2))

It is given that ∫e^-((x^2)/(d^2)) between ∞ and -∞ is (√π)(d)

So I simplify this all and get <P^2> = ħ(K^2)+(ħ/d)

I have been through my calculations a number of times and can't find and error but I can't help but think that the ħ/d term doesn't really make sense. Any thought's would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the operator ##\hat{p}^2## will have a factor of ##\hbar^2## rather than ##\hbar##. In your four separate integrals, did you get one that has an integrand with a factor of ##x^2##?

Thanks for the reply, this is why I distrust the answer that I calculated because it doesn't really agree with my value of <P>. But the only time ħ appears is in the equation given in the question, so there is no way to get ħ^2. The only x^2 i find is in the power of e, which is in each of the four integrals.

If ##\hat{p} = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}##, then ##\hat{p}^2 =-\hbar^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} ##. So, there is definitely a factor of ##\hbar^2## in ##\hat{p}^2##. Maybe there was a misprint in the statement of the problem.

EDIT: If you evaluate ##\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} e^{-x^2}##, then you should get a term proportional to ##x^2e^{-x^2}## as well as other terms.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, my bad, it is ħ^2. We are given the integral for e^-(x^2)/(d^2) as (√π)d though.

Related to Expectation value of the square of Momentum

1. What is the expectation value of the square of momentum?

The expectation value of the square of momentum is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the average value of the squared momentum of a particle. It is calculated by taking the square of the momentum operator and finding the average value of that operator in a specific quantum state.

2. How is the expectation value of the square of momentum related to uncertainty?

The expectation value of the square of momentum is related to uncertainty through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainty in position and the uncertainty in momentum must be greater than or equal to a certain value. The expectation value of the square of momentum can give us information about the uncertainty in momentum.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of the square of momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the expectation value of the square of momentum is a fundamental quantity that helps us understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and understand the uncertainty in their momentum.

4. How is the expectation value of the square of momentum measured in experiments?

The expectation value of the square of momentum can be measured in experiments by performing measurements on a large number of particles in a specific quantum state. The average of these measurements will give the expectation value of the square of momentum for that state.

5. Can the expectation value of the square of momentum be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of the square of momentum can be negative. This can happen when the wavefunction of a particle has both positive and negative values, resulting in a negative average value. However, the uncertainty principle ensures that the product of the uncertainty in position and the uncertainty in momentum is always positive.