Expectation values and probabilities for spinors in a well

In summary, the conversation involves working on a homework problem about spinors, specifically an electron in a one-dimensional infinite well. The goal is to find the value of A and the probability that the spin along the z-axis is equal to ħ/2. The conversation discusses different methods for finding these values and ultimately concludes that the correct approach is to square the inner product of the eigenspinor and wavefunction and integrate, resulting in a probability of 9/25.
Cameron Roberts
Working on a homework at the moment involving spinors. The algebra isn't hard at all, I just want to make sure my understanding is right and I'm not doing this incorrectly.

1. Homework Statement

An electron in a one-dimensional infinite well in the region 0≤x≤a is described by the spinor ψ(x) =A (3*sin(πx/a) , 4*sin(2πx/a)).

Find A .

What is the probability that Sz = ħ/2?

Homework Equations

[/B]
1 = ∫ψ*ψ dx

P(χ+) = <χ+|ψ>^2 = ∫(ψχ)2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, for normalization, I handled the problem as if it were a simple wave function rather than a spinor, with the only real difference being that ψ* is ψ, so that the two matrices reduce to a single term. This gives me A2 = 2/(25a).

For the second problem, I'm a bit less confident. My options seem to be either 1. simply do matrix multiplication with the transpose of my spinor and the χ+ and get 3A*sin(πx/a) (ħ/2). This doesn't seem in line with other expectation values since it has some x dependence still, so I don't think this is it, though it seems to be how we've handled simple spins in the pas. Or, 2., integrate this term from 0 to a and get a numerical answer, rather than a function of x.

I intend to try the second option, and press on using a similar method for the rest of the problem, but if someone could confirm this is the correct way to do it or guide me towards the correct method, I'd be greatly appreciative!

Edit: Forgot a squared sign. I've got 9/25 as an answer now, after squaring the inner product of the eigenspinor and wavefunction and integrating. Seems like a reasonable answer, as doing the -ħ/2 should yield 16/25.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cameron Roberts said:
I've got 9/25 as an answer now, after squaring the inner product of the eigenspinor and wavefunction and integrating. Seems like a reasonable answer, as doing the -ħ/2 should yield 16/25.
Looks good. This assumes that you are using up and down along the z-axis as basis vectors when writing the spinor ψ(x).

Likes Cameron Roberts
TSny said:
Looks good.
Thank you! Pressing on then.

1. What is a spinor in a well?

A spinor in a well is a quantum mechanical system that describes the spin state of a particle confined within a potential well. It is represented by a column vector with two components, corresponding to the two possible spin orientations of the particle.

2. What is an expectation value in relation to spinors in a well?

The expectation value of a spinor in a well is the average value of a certain physical quantity, such as spin, that can be measured on the particle. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the spinor with its corresponding operator.

3. How is the probability of measuring a spin state related to spinors in a well?

The probability of measuring a spin state for a particle in a well is given by the square of the magnitude of the corresponding component of the spinor. This probability can change as the particle interacts with its environment or as it evolves over time.

4. What is the significance of expectation values and probabilities for spinors in a well?

Expectation values and probabilities for spinors in a well are important because they allow us to predict and understand the behavior of quantum particles. They provide a way to calculate the likelihood of obtaining certain measurement outcomes and give insight into the underlying properties of the particle.

5. How do expectation values and probabilities for spinors in a well differ from classical systems?

Expectation values and probabilities for spinors in a well are different from classical systems because they take into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and uncertainty. In classical systems, the behavior of particles can be predicted with certainty, whereas in quantum systems, there is always an element of probability involved.