Show that the expectation value of momentum is zero

This would give you an integral that can be evaluated and should lead you to the desired result.In summary, the expectation value of momentum for the given wave function is evaluated using the integral <p>=<ψ|p|ψ>=∫dxψ*(x)[-iħ∂/∂x]ψ(x) from -∞ to ∞, where the wave function is ψ(x)∝e^(-γx) when x>0 and ψ(x)=0 when x<0. The integral is simplified to ∫2iħγ^2e^(-2γx)dx from 0 to ∞, with a smooth function replacing the discontinuity at x
Nate810

Homework Statement

Demonstrate that the expectation value of momentum (p) for the wave function: ψ(x)∝e^(-γx) when x>0, ψ(x)=0 when x<0. Hint: Pay special attention to the discontinuity at x=0.[/B]

Homework Equations

<p>=<ψ|p|ψ>=∫dxψ*(x)[-iħ∂/∂x]ψ(x) from -∞ to ∞. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have normalized the wave function such that ∫ψ*(x)ψ(x)dx from -∞ to ∞ =1. I get a constant of √(2γ) so that ψ(x)=√(2γ)e^(-γx).

Then, I attempt to set up the <p> integral as:
<p>=∫√(2γ)e^(-γx)[iħ∂/∂x]√(2γ)e^(-γx)dx from -∞ to ∞.
Simplifying, I get that the integral is: ∫2iħγ^2e^(-2γx)dx from 0 to ∞.
I am fairly confident in my evaluation of this integral (which i get to be γiħ), but I do not know how to approach the discontinuity at x=0. I attempted to use a delta function, but I cannot seem to get the overall expectation value to equal 0.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you could replace it by some smooth function that connects both parts, and then take the limit of zero width for this smooth function.

1. What is the expectation value of momentum?

The expectation value of momentum is a measure of the average momentum of a particle in a given system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the momentum and the probability density function over all possible momentum values.

2. Why is the expectation value of momentum important?

The expectation value of momentum is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in a given system. It can give us insight into the overall motion and dynamics of a system, and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the expectation value of momentum related to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of momentum is related to the uncertainty principle through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must always be greater than or equal to a certain constant value. This means that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa.

4. How is the expectation value of momentum calculated mathematically?

The expectation value of momentum is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the momentum and the probability density function over all possible momentum values. Mathematically, it can be represented as ψ = ∫ ψ(p) p dp, where ψ(p) is the probability density function and p is the momentum variable.

5. Why is the expectation value of momentum zero in some cases?

The expectation value of momentum can be zero in some cases due to the nature of quantum mechanics. In quantum systems, particles can exist in a superposition of different momentum states, and the expectation value is a measure of the average over all these possible states. Therefore, in some cases, the average momentum can be zero even though the particle may have a non-zero momentum in a particular state.