How Can I Prepare for Experimental Problems in the Physics Olympiad?

In summary, the speaker is a student from India who wants to participate in the IPHO 2014 and 2015 competitions. They have studied theory and solved problems from various sources, including Resnick/Halliday's FOP, IE IRODOV, and SS Krotov. They have also collected national olympiad papers from different countries and theory papers from past IPHO competitions. However, the speaker is concerned about the experimental tests in the third round, as their school lacks proper resources and teachers for this type of problem-solving. They ask for advice on how to prepare for the experimental tests and are directed to a website with information on past IPHO practical tests.
greatnewton
I am a student from India i just finished my class 10 exams . I want to appear in IPHO 2014 and IPHO 2015 . So let me tell you what preparations i have done uptill now .
I read all the theory and solved almost all problems from resnick/halliday's FOP
I am solving problems from IE IRODOV ( i solved abt 200 till now )...and SS krotov ( abt 50 solved ) .
I have collected national olympiad papers of US,INDIA,CANADA,ENGLAND and AUSTRALIA
i have also collected theory papers from APho and IPho ( 2000 - 2012 )

So in India like other countries the first two rounds has only theory papers . I should say i am confident in clearing those two rounds . The third round however has experimental tests which i don't have any knowledge about nor can i solve experimental problems .
My school neither has a good lab nor good teachers .

I want to know how i can learn to solve the experimental problems in Physics Olympiad . Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
I never went to IPhO or did a physics olympiad in my country, but I guess it should be based on the IPhO practical tests. Why not take a look?

http://www.jyu.fi/tdk/kastdk/olympiads/

1. What is the purpose of the experimental part in IPHO?

The experimental part in IPHO is designed to test students' understanding of the principles and concepts of physics through hands-on experiments. It allows students to apply their theoretical knowledge to practical situations and develop critical thinking skills.

2. How are the experiments chosen for the IPHO?

The experiments for IPHO are carefully selected by experienced physicists and educators. They are chosen based on their relevance to the IPHO syllabus, their level of difficulty, and their ability to test students' understanding of key concepts.

3. What is the format of the experimental part in IPHO?

The experimental part in IPHO consists of two parts: the theoretical experiment and the practical experiment. The theoretical experiment involves answering questions based on a given scenario, while the practical experiment requires students to perform a hands-on experiment and analyze the results.

4. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for conducting the experiments in IPHO?

Yes, there are specific rules and guidelines that must be followed when conducting experiments in IPHO. These include safety precautions, proper use of equipment, and accurate recording and reporting of data. Violation of these rules may result in disqualification.

5. How can I prepare for the experimental part of IPHO?

To prepare for the experimental part of IPHO, it is important to have a strong understanding of the theoretical concepts and principles of physics. Additionally, practicing hands-on experiments and familiarizing yourself with the equipment and procedures will also be beneficial. It is also recommended to review past IPHO exams to become familiar with the format and types of questions asked.