Explain why cosine formula is always -0,5.

In summary, the angle between two vectors, \textbf{v} and \textbf{w}, is always -\frac{1}{2} due to the fact that their dot product divided by the product of their magnitudes can be simplified to -\frac{1}{2} when the sum of their components is equal to 0. This can be shown through the use of the cosine formula and the properties of the dot product and magnitude.
Dafe

Homework Statement

Pick any numbers that add to:
[tex] x + y + z = 0 [/tex]
Find the angle between your vector [tex]\textbf{v} = (x, y, z)[/tex]
and the vecor [tex]\textbf{w} = (z, x, y)[/tex]
Explain why [tex] \textbf{v}\bullet\textbf{w} / ||\textbf{v}||||\textbf{w}|| [/tex] is always [tex] -\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

Cosine Forumla:

[tex]\frac{\textbf{v}\bullet\textbf{w}}{||\textbf{v}||||\textbf{w}||}=cos\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I pick:

[tex] \textbf{v} = (2, -1, -1) [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{w} = (-1, 2, -1) [/tex]

I insert the integers into the cosine forumla and get [tex] -\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

As for the question why it is always -(1/2), I am not sure where to start.

If you guys could push me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I'd write out what v.w works out as and what |v||w| works out as.

EDIT: Hint: remember what (x+y+z)2 equals

[tex]\textbf{v} \bullet \textbf{w} = xz + yz + xy [/tex]

I can write this as:
[tex] \textbf{v} \bullet \textbf{w} = \frac{1}{2} (x + y + z)^2 - \frac{1}{2} (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) [/tex]

[tex]||\textbf{v}|| ||\textbf{w}|| = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 [/tex]

This leads me to:

[tex]\frac{\textbf{v} \bullet \textbf{w}}{||\textbf{v}|| ||\textbf{w}||} = \frac{\frac{1}{2} (x + y + z)^2}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)} - \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

since

[tex] x + y + z = 0 [/tex]

the answer is,

[tex] - \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Thank you rock.freak667!

Related to Explain why cosine formula is always -0,5.

1. Why is the cosine formula always equal to -0.5?

The cosine formula is always equal to -0.5 because it is a property of the cosine function. The cosine function is a periodic function with a period of 2π, meaning that it repeats itself every 2π units. At certain points on the unit circle, the cosine function has a value of -0.5, which is why the formula is always equal to -0.5.

2. How is the cosine formula derived?

The cosine formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By using the cosine function and the Pythagorean theorem, we can derive the cosine formula.

3. Can you provide an example of when the cosine formula is equal to -0.5?

Yes, an example of when the cosine formula is equal to -0.5 is when we have a right triangle with one angle measuring 60 degrees. In this case, the adjacent side will have a length of 1/2 times the hypotenuse, and the opposite side will have a length of √3/2 times the hypotenuse. Plugging these values into the cosine formula, we get cos(60) = -0.5.

4. What is the significance of the cosine formula being equal to -0.5?

The significance of the cosine formula being equal to -0.5 is that it tells us the relationship between the sides of a right triangle and the angle opposite the adjacent side. It helps us calculate the unknown sides or angles of a right triangle and is also used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

5. Are there any exceptions to the cosine formula always being equal to -0.5?

Yes, there are exceptions to the cosine formula always being equal to -0.5. One exception is when the angle is 0 degrees or 180 degrees, in which case the cosine formula will be equal to 1 or -1, respectively. Additionally, the cosine formula may not be equal to -0.5 if the triangle is not a right triangle or if the angle opposite the adjacent side is not exactly 60 degrees.