Explicit check for Laplace transform?

In summary: If you understand what a differential equation is, the specific check you could do becomes self-evident.
j3dwards

Homework Statement

Solve the following initial value problem using Laplace transforms: y' + 4y = 3t3 e−4t ; y(0) = 0 . Useful information: Recall that the Laplace transform of y 0 is pY − y(0), where Y is the Laplace Transform of y. The Laplace transform of tk e−at is k!/(p + a)k+1 . Confirm the validity of your result by an explicit check.

Homework Equations

tk e−at is k!/(p + a)k+1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have the solution:

y=3/4 t4e−4t

And I know this is correct.

However is there a specific check I can do to make sure this is correct? ie. What is the explicit check?

Physics news on Phys.org
j3dwards said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following initial value problem using Laplace transforms: y' + 4y = 3t3 e−4t ; y(0) = 0 . Useful information: Recall that the Laplace transform of y 0 is pY − y(0), where Y is the Laplace Transform of y. The Laplace transform of tk e−at is k!/(p + a)k+1 . Confirm the validity of your result by an explicit check.

Homework Equations

tk e−at is k!/(p + a)k+1

So I have the solution:

y=3/4 t4e−4t

However is there a specific check I can do to make sure this is correct? ie. What is the explicit check?
If you understand what a differential equation is, the specific check you could do becomes self-evident.

Said differently: you claim to have the solution. What does it mean that y=3/4 t4e−4t is the solution?

j3dwards said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

tk e−at is k!/(p + a)k+1

So I have the solution:

y=3/4 t4e−4t

Suppose somebody gave you the alleged solution ##y = (3/4) t^4 e^{-4t}## but did not tell you where it came from; how could you check if it is correct?

1. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It converts a function of time into a function of a complex variable, allowing for easier analysis and solving of differential equations.

2. How is the Laplace transform applied in scientific research?

The Laplace transform is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to model and analyze systems that involve differential equations. It allows for the prediction of system behavior and can be used to design control systems.

3. What is an explicit check for Laplace transform?

An explicit check for Laplace transform refers to the process of verifying the correctness of a calculated Laplace transform by comparing it to known or expected solutions. This is done to ensure the accuracy of the calculated transform and the validity of the resulting analysis.

4. What are the advantages of using an explicit check for Laplace transform?

An explicit check for Laplace transform helps to catch errors in the calculation and can provide a deeper understanding of the system being analyzed. It also allows for the identification of any inconsistencies or discrepancies in the results, which can lead to further investigation and improvement of the analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using an explicit check for Laplace transform?

One limitation of using an explicit check for Laplace transform is that it can be time-consuming, especially for complex systems. It also relies on the availability of known or expected solutions for comparison, which may not always be available. Additionally, an explicit check may not catch errors that occur in the initial steps of the calculation.