Explicit proof of the Jacobian inverse

In summary: This confirms your intuition that ##r = (1/2)*rho##, since rho is just the distance from the origin in cylindrical coordinates.In summary, using the given transformations in polar coordinates, we can find the Jacobian to be independent of theta and equal to r. This means that r and theta are related to cylindrical coordinates rho and phi by a factor of 1/2*cos(theta).
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Given the transformations ##x^2+y^2=2*r*cos(theta)## and ##x*y=r*sin(theta)## prove the Jacobian explicitly

The question then goes on to ask how r and theta are related to the cylindrical coordinates rho and phi. I think ##r=1/2*(x^2+y^2)## and hence ##r=1/2 rho## but I am not really sure about this part I'm afraid, so haven't gotten very far

Homework Equations

##(partial(x,y)/partial(r,theta))*partial(r,theta)/partial(x,y))=1##

The Attempt at a Solution

So by multiplying the second expression by two and then squaring both and adding we get ##r=1/2*(x^2+y^2)## from which we can find the first two elements in the second Jacobian to be x and y respectively. By dividing the two transformations we can also get an expression for theta, which is relativity simple to differentiate, however when isolating x and y I seem to be going into pages of algebra, which leads me to think I have got the wrong approach, and there must be a simpler way since this is meant to be a relatively quick question.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post! I would like to clarify a few things before I begin my response.

Firstly, it seems like the transformations given are in polar coordinates, not cylindrical coordinates. The first equation is the equation of a circle in polar coordinates, while the second equation is the product of the polar coordinates. In cylindrical coordinates, the first equation would be ##rho^2 = 2*r*cos(phi)## and the second equation would be ##rho*phi = r*sin(phi)##.

Assuming we are working in polar coordinates, the first step would be to rewrite the equations in terms of the variables r and theta. This can be done using the following equations:

##x = r*cos(theta)##
##y = r*sin(theta)##

Substituting these into the two given equations, we get:

##r^2*cos^2(theta) + r^2*sin^2(theta) = 2*r*cos(theta)##
##r^2*cos(theta)*r*sin(theta) = r*sin(theta)##

Simplifying, we get:

##r^2 = 2*r*cos(theta)##
##r = 1/2*cos(theta)##

Using these equations, we can now find the Jacobian. The Jacobian is defined as:

##J = partial(x,y)/partial(r,theta) = (partial(x)/partial(r))*(partial(y)/partial(theta)) - (partial(x)/partial(theta))*(partial(y)/partial(r))##

Substituting in the expressions for x and y in terms of r and theta, we get:

##J = (cos(theta))*(r*cos(theta)) - (-r*sin(theta))*(sin(theta))##
##J = r*cos^2(theta) + r*sin^2(theta)##
##J = r##

So the Jacobian is just equal to r. This means that the Jacobian is independent of theta, and only depends on the distance from the origin, r.

To answer the second part of the question, we can use the relationship between polar and cylindrical coordinates, which is:

##rho = r*sin(phi)##
##z = r*cos(phi)##

Substituting this into the equations we found for r and theta, we get:

##rho = (1/2)*cos(theta)*sin(phi)##
##z = (1/2)*cos(theta)*cos(phi)##

So we can see that the cylindrical coordinates are related to the polar coordinates by a factor of 1/

1. What is the Jacobian inverse?

The Jacobian inverse, also known as the inverse Jacobian matrix, is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus and differential geometry. It is the matrix representation of the inverse of the Jacobian matrix, which describes the relationship between two sets of variables in a system of equations.

2. Why is explicit proof of the Jacobian inverse important?

Explicit proof of the Jacobian inverse is important because it allows us to understand and manipulate the relationship between different variables in a system of equations. This understanding is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where complex systems are described using multiple variables.

3. How is the Jacobian inverse calculated?

The Jacobian inverse is calculated by first calculating the Jacobian matrix, which involves taking the partial derivatives of each equation in the system with respect to each variable. The inverse of this matrix is then calculated using matrix operations, such as Gaussian elimination or LU decomposition.

4. What is the significance of the Jacobian inverse in optimization?

The Jacobian inverse is used in optimization problems to find the minimum or maximum of a function. It helps in determining the direction and magnitude of the steepest descent or ascent, which can be used to iteratively improve the solution and reach the optimal point.

5. Can the Jacobian inverse be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the Jacobian inverse is used in many real-world applications, such as robotics, control systems, and computer graphics. It is also used in mathematical modeling and simulation to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.