Jacobian of a coordinate system wrt another system

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Jacobian of a coordinate system (##u_1, u_2##) with respect to another coordinate system (x,y). The conversation also touches on linear transformations and how to solve for coordinates given vectors. The final solution involves using a matrix representation to find the Jacobian.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-9_23-40-41.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Jacobian of the coordinate- system (## u_1, u_2##) with respect to another coordinate- system (x,y ) is given by

J = ## \begin{vmatrix}
\frac { \partial {u_1 } } {\partial {x } } & \frac { \partial {u_1 } } {\partial {y} } \\
\frac { \partial {u_2 } } {\partial {x } } & \frac { \partial {u_2 } } {\partial {y } }\end{vmatrix} ##

Now, ## u_1(x,y), u_2(x,y) = ?##

In polar coordinate system,

## x(r, \theta) = \vec r \cdot \hat x ##

## y(r, \theta) = \vec r \cdot \hat y ##

Applying the same,

## u_1(x,y)= \vec x \cdot \hat u_1 = x ##

## u_2(x,y)= \vec x \cdot \hat u_2 = \frac { k}{\sqrt{ (k^2 x^2 + y^2)}} ##

Thus, I get J as a function of x.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-9_23-40-41.png
    upload_2018-2-9_23-40-41.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 916
Physics news on Phys.org
No. The expressions you quote are only valid for sn orthonormal basis.

## u_1(x,y)## and ##u_2(x,y)## are given in the problem statement. Why not just find the partial derivatives directly?

tnich said:
## u_1(x,y)## and ##u_2(x,y)## are given in the problem statement. Why not just find the partial derivatives directly?
## u_1(x,y) = x

\\ u_2(x,y)= | \vec u_2| = \sqrt{ (k^2 x^2 + y^2)} ##

This also gives J as a function of x.

Is this correct?

Pushoam said:
## u_1(x,y) = x

\\ u_2(x,y)= | \vec u_2| = \sqrt{ (k^2 x^2 + y^2)} ##

This also gives J as a function of x.

Is this correct?

No, you are overthinking this. A point ##\vec v## is represented as a linear combination ##x \vec x +y \vec y##, where ##x, y## are your coordinates. You want to map it to a new point ##u_1(x,y) \vec x+u_2(x,y) \vec y## under a mapping where ##\vec x## gets mapped to ##\vec u_1=\vec x## and ##\vec y## is mapped to ##\vec u_2=k\vec x+\vec y##. Now can you figure out what ##u_1(x,y)## and ##u_2(x,y)## are?

Dick said:
You want to map it to a new point ##u_1(x,y) \vec x+u_2(x,y) \vec y## under a mapping where ##\vec x## gets mapped to ##\vec u_1=\vec x## and ##\vec y## is mapped to ##\vec u_2=k\vec x+\vec y##.

I couldn't understand this mapping thing. Could you please give a corresponding link for it?

Pushoam said:
I couldn't understand this mapping thing. Could you please give a corresponding link for it?

I really can't think of anything to link to. The point is that vectors don't have a Jacobian. Transformations have a Jacobian. What they are doing here is describing a linear transformation that takes the vector ##\vec x## into the vector ##\vec u_1## and ##\vec y## into ##\vec u_2##. That's what they want the Jacobian of. You do know about linear transformations, right?

What I understood is: A point given by ## \vec v_1 ## in the Area ## A_1 ## gets mapped to another point given by ## \vec v_2 ## in the Area ## A_2 ##.

## \vec v_1 = x ~\hat x + y ~\hat y

\\ \vec v_2 = \vec u_1 + \vec u_2 = x (k+1) ~\hat x + y ~\hat y

##

Now, ## \vec v_2 = \vec u_1 + \vec u_2 = u_1(x,y) ~\hat x + u_2(x,y) ~\hat y ## ...(1)

Using (1), I get ## u_1(x,y) = x (k+1) ## ,

## u_2(x,y) = y ##

But,is (1) right? Shouldn't it be ## \vec v_2 = \vec u_1 + \vec u_2 = u_1(x,y) ~\hat {u_1} + u_2(x,y) ~\hat {u_2} ## ...(2)?

I am not familiar with linear transformations for these vectors. I used to get ## u_1, u_2 ## as coordinates and then I used to find out the Jacobian. I suddenly got this question to find out the coordinates from the vectors.

But why should ## \vec v_2 = \vec u_1 + \vec u_2 ## ?

## \vec u_1 , \vec u_2 ## are not mutually orthogonal.

This is a little tricky. The system of equations you want to solve is:
$$u_1 \vec u_1 + u_2 \vec u_2 = x \vec x + y \vec y$$
It helps me to write this in matrix format like this:
$$\begin{bmatrix}
\vec u_1 & \vec u_2
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\ u_1 \\ u_2
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
\vec x & \vec y
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\ x \\ y
\end{bmatrix}
$$
You already know that ##\vec u_1 = \vec x## and ##\vec u_2 = k \vec x + \vec y##, so you can substitute for ##\vec u_1## and ##\vec u_2##.
$$\begin{bmatrix}
\vec x & k \vec x + \vec y
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\ u_1 \\ u_2
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
\vec x & \vec y
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\ x \\ y
\end{bmatrix}
$$
$$\begin{bmatrix}
\vec x & \vec y
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & k\\
0 &1
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\ u_1 \\ u_2
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
\vec x & \vec y
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\ x \\ y
\end{bmatrix}
$$
As long as ##\begin{bmatrix}\vec x & \vec y\end{bmatrix}## is invertible (and it is because ##\vec x## and ##\vec y## form a basis), this implies that
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & k\\
0 &1
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\ u_1 \\ u_2
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
\ x \\ y
\end{bmatrix}
$$
which you can solve for ##u_1(x, y), u_2(x, y)##.

Likes Pushoam
Are you familiar with how the Jacobian relates the two areas, ##A_1## and ##A_2##?

vela said:
Are you familiar with how the Jacobian relates the two areas, ##A_1## and ##A_2##?
:oldsmile: I've been wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned that, especially since the OP appears to have posted a "quickie" test question.

vela said:
No.

But, I think the following:

Area ## A_1 ## consists of all of the vectors which are a linear combinations of ## \vec x , \vec y ## ( basis vectors of this vector space) and ## A_2 ## consists of all of the vectors which are a linear combinations of ## \vec u_1, \vec u_2 ## .

Now, a vector ## \vec r ## is same in both basis system.

So, ## \vec r = x \vec x + y \vec y = u_1 \vec u_1 + u_2 \vec u_2 ## .

Pushoam said:
No.

But, I think the following:

Area ## A_1 ## consists of all of the vectors which are a linear combinations of ## \vec x , \vec y ## ( basis vectors of this vector space) and ## A_2 ## consists of all of the vectors which are a linear combinations of ## \vec u_1, \vec u_2 ## .

Now, a vector ## \vec r ## is same in both basis system.

So, ## \vec r = x \vec x + y \vec y = u_1 \vec u_1 + u_2 \vec u_2 ## .

You seem to be thinking of this as some kind of change of basis problem. I don't think it is. I think they want you to find the Jacobian of the linear transformation ##f## defined by ##f(\vec x)=\vec u_1## and ##f(\vec y)=\vec u_2##.

Dick said:
You seem to be thinking of this as some kind of change of basis problem. I don't think it is. I think they want you to find the Jacobian of the linear transformation ##f## defined by ##f(\vec x)=\vec u_1## and ##f(\vec y)=\vec u_2##.
I thought the same initially, until you pointed out that vectors don't have a Jacobian, transformations do. The change of basis interpretation is also consistent with the observation by @vela about the relationship between the two areas ##A_1## and ##A_2## and the vectors ##\vec x, \vec y, \vec u_1## and ##\vec u_2##.

1. What is the Jacobian of a coordinate system?

The Jacobian of a coordinate system is a matrix that describes the relationship between two coordinate systems. It is used to convert between different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian and polar coordinates.

2. How is the Jacobian calculated?

The Jacobian is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the transformation equations between the two coordinate systems and arranging them into a matrix.

3. What is the purpose of the Jacobian in mathematics?

The Jacobian is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and geometry. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving multivariate functions and transformations between coordinate systems.

4. Can the Jacobian be used for any type of coordinate system transformation?

Yes, the Jacobian can be used for any type of coordinate system transformation as long as the transformation equations are differentiable. It is commonly used for conversions between Cartesian, polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates.

5. How does the Jacobian affect the calculation of integrals?

The Jacobian is used in the change of variables formula for calculating integrals. It is necessary when transforming an integral from one coordinate system to another, and helps to account for the change in volume element between the two systems.