Exploring a QM particle in Motion with GR

In summary: The equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense.
PRB147
I encountered a problem in reading Phys.Lett.B Vol.755, 367-370 (2016).
I cannot derive Eq.(7), the following snapshot is the paper and my oen derivation,
I cannot repeat Eq.(7) in the paper.
Filho.png

##g^{\mu\nu}## is diagonal metric tensor and##g^{\mu\mu}## is the function of ##\mu## only, ##\mu=x,y,z##.
My derivation is as follows, but I cannot repeat their result and my result contains the cross term differential ##\partial_x \partial_y##.

Filho2.png

(The first line is their result), while the last line is mine.
Would anyone can help me to elucidate this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the three horizontal lines after ##\mathcal{D}^2## mean in eq 7? It sometimes means that something is true by definition (identical to) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bar

If this is the case, you can not derive eq. 7.

PRB147 said:
andgμμ is the function of μ only
indices are not variables, thus the metric is not a function of µ.

Last edited:
Likes PRB147 and Vanadium 50
PRB147 said:
I cannot derive Eq.(7)
That's because the equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense. And it seems that the authors of the paper are not well versed in tensor calculus. To see how Eq. (7) should be correctly written and derived, google Laplace-Beltrami operator.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes strangerep, PRB147, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
PRB147 said:
My derivation is as follows
Please use the PF LaTeX feature to post equations directly, not as images. There is a LaTeX Guide link at the lower left of each post window.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
malawi_glenn said:
What does the three horizontal lines after ##\mathcal{D}^2## mean in eq 7? It sometimes means that something is true by definition (identical to) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bar

If this is the case, you can not derive eq. 7.indices are not variables, thus the metric is not a function of µ.
thank you for your comment, I thought the author's meaning is ##g_{xx}## depends only on x; ##g_{yy}## depends only on y; etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Demystifier said:
That's because the equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense. And it seems that the authors of the paper are not well versed in tensor calculus. To see how Eq. (7) should be correctly written and derived, google Laplace-Beltrami operator.
Thank you very much, I will read the relevant references according to your guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
@PRB147, your posts #5 and #6 are a mess. Please pay more attention to proper quoting and formatting.

PeterDonis said:
@PRB147, your posts #5 and #6 are a mess.
Well, they aren't now because I have used magic moderator powers to edit them and clean them up. But my advice still stands.

Likes PRB147
PRB147 said:
thank you for your comment, I thought the author's meaning is ##g_{xx}## depends only on x; ##g_{yy}## depends only on y; etc.
No it does not...

Likes PRB147

1. What is the relationship between quantum mechanics and general relativity?

Quantum mechanics and general relativity are two fundamental theories in physics that describe different aspects of the universe. Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, while general relativity explains the behavior of large-scale objects and the effects of gravity on space and time.

2. How does general relativity affect the motion of a quantum particle?

General relativity predicts that the motion of a quantum particle is affected by the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. This means that the path of a quantum particle may be altered by the presence of a massive object, such as a planet or star.

3. Can a quantum particle be in multiple places at once according to general relativity?

According to general relativity, a quantum particle can exist in multiple places at once due to the concept of superposition. This means that the particle can be in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed or measured, at which point it collapses into a single state.

4. How does general relativity explain the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. General relativity explains this by showing that the act of measuring or observing a particle affects its position and momentum, making it impossible to know both with absolute certainty.

5. Can general relativity and quantum mechanics be unified?

There have been many attempts to unify general relativity and quantum mechanics into a single theory, known as quantum gravity. However, a complete and satisfactory theory has not yet been achieved, and the search for a unified theory continues to be a major focus of modern physics.