Exploring Classic Strategy Board Games on PC: From Chess to Nine Men's Morris

In summary: C summarizing the conversation: Board games on the computer can be difficult to find a good PC version of. There are a few good freeware implementations, but they may not have all the variations of the game. There is also a recent edition of Diplomacy for PC that supports multiplayer mode.
TheStatutoryApe
Board Games on the Computer...

I've been looking around trying to find good PC versions of various board games that will work on Vista, especially multiplayer ones. I have had very little success.

We have a working Monopoly and a working Risk but these both get rather dull and mindless after a while. I'd love an Axis & Allies type game. Unfortunately Avalon Hill has not made a new PC version of the board game. The old one was really buggy to begin with and absolutely will not work on Vista. There is an A&A clone for PC called World at War but the more indepth rules make it far more difficult to learn to play with about an hour to an hour and a half worth of tutorials. I doubt my friends are going to be very interested in playing if they have to go through that much just to get started.

I found a recent edition of Diplomacy for PC but I believe multiplayer mode is only supported for online games, not even LAN. "Hot Seat" style wouldn't work for this game anyway.

Lately I have been looking for classic strategy board games like chess and go. I had a great program a while back called 10 Pro Board Games but that was for windows 98 or 2000 and likely won't work on my computer. I haven't even been able to find a torrent of it so I can try it and see. The main thing I liked about it was that it had several serious strategy games; go, chess, gomoku, shogi, othelo, and chinese chess. A friend recently mentioned an interest in playing shogi which made me think of it. Unfortunately all of the 'board game' packs that I have found do not list more than a few of the 20+ games they claim to have in them, not even on the websites of the companies that make them. So I downloaded one and found that it was mainly vartiations on those electronic pub games along with a few like chess and checkers. So if anyone knows of a more recent collection of classic strategy games please let me know.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What about the Go Fish game, it is as simple as that even children can master. its rules are also simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several good freeware implementations of Nine Men's Morris out there...
(if you are unfamiliar with the game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_men's_morris )

Easy to learn and addictive... it's history extends to antiquity. Many variations as well. I don't have it on this computer, so Just search for it, or if desired I can find a link or two to one or two of the better ones.

diogenesNY

1. What are some popular board games available on the computer?

Some popular board games available on the computer include Chess, Monopoly, Scrabble, Settlers of Catan, and Risk.

2. Can I play board games on the computer with my friends?

Yes, many board games have online multiplayer options where you can play with your friends or other players from around the world.

3. Are there any advantages to playing board games on the computer versus in person?

Playing board games on the computer can offer convenience, as you can play anytime and anywhere without needing physical game pieces. It also allows for easier setup and cleanup, and some games may offer additional features or expansions.

4. Are there any disadvantages to playing board games on the computer?

Some people may miss the tactile experience of physically playing with game pieces and interacting with others in person. There may also be a learning curve for navigating the game's interface and controls.

5. Are there any cost differences between physical board games and computer versions?

The cost of board games on the computer can vary. Some games may be available for free, while others may require a one-time purchase or subscription. However, overall, playing board games on the computer may be more cost-effective in the long run as there is no need to continually purchase physical copies of the game.