Exploring CoIr Alloys: Crystal Structures & Lattice Parameters

In summary: Atomic Diffusion and Phase Equilibria at the Interfaces of the CoAl/Ir Multilayer on Nb5Si3&ndashBase Alloys [pp. 591-600] Are you interested in strictly the binary Ir,Co system or more generally other systems, e.g. B2-(Ir, Co)Al ?wow astronuc you really pinned down that question :tongue:btw i remember using this software called 'diamond' that would let you look at the structure of molecules of minerals, twas pretty cool.Just wondering what will you do once you have the structure of the alloy?The Naval Research Lab has a website on crystal structures
michelia
I am looking for informations about CoIr alloys.
Who can tell me about crystal structure, lattice parameters of CoIr alloy?
Please share me some references about this material.
Thanks! :!)

Engineering news on Phys.org
wow astronuc you really pinned down that question :-p

btw i remember using this software called 'diamond' that would let you look at the structure of molecules of minerals, twas pretty cool.

edit: iron and copper

just wondering what will you do once you have the structure of the alloy?

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 447
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
The Naval Research Lab has a website on crystal structures. I didn't readily find Ir-Co. I thought it might be an intermetallic, but I have seen references to a solid (substitutional) solution.

For reference -

http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/b2.html

http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/IrV.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
I have found that CoIr has hcp crystallography with:
Z 2
a 0.2602 nm
b 0.2602 nm
c 0.4183 nm
a 90 °
b 90 °
g 120 °
Cell volume 0.02453 nm-3
a/b 1.000
b/c 0.622
c/a 1.608
https://crystdb.nims.go.jp/cgi-bin/lpf/W06-P02.pl?ID00=ID01&ID00VALUE=Co-Ir&ID03=ANY&ID05=XXXXXX&ID04=&ID06=&ID07=XXXXXX&SITEM1=XXXXXX&OPER1=OPR01&VALUE1=&SITEM2=XXXXXX&OPER2=OPR01&VALUE2=&SITEM3=XXXXXX&OPER3=OPR01&VALUE3=&S1=on&SIMG=on&SIMG1=on&SIMG2=on&S2=on&MIN=on&P1=on&P1D0=on&P1E0=on&P3=on&P3B0=on&P3C0=on&P3E0=on&P3F1=on&P3H1=on&P3K0=on&P3L0=on&P3M0=on&P3Q0=on&P4=on&P4A0=on&P4B1=on&P4D1=on&P4E1=on&P4H0=on&P4N1=on&P4Q0=on&P4R0=on&P5=on&P5C0=on&P5D1=on&P5E0=on&P5H0=on&P5I1=on&P5M0=on&P5N0=on&P5O1=on&P5R1=on&P5S1=on&P5Y0=on&P6=on&P6B0=on&P6C0=on&P6D0=on&P6E0=on&P6F0=on&P6J0=on&P6K0=on&P6O0=on&P7=on&P7B0=on&P7C0=on&P7G0=on&P8=on&P8A0=on&P8B0=on&P8C1=on&P8D0=on&P8F0=on&P8J1=on&P8L0=on&P8N0=on&P8P0=on&P8Q0=on&P8R0=on&P8S0=on&P8T0=on&P8U0=on&P9=on&P9A0=on&P9B0=on&P9C1=on&P9D0=on&P9H0=on&P9I0=on&P9K0=on&P9L0=on&P9M0=on&P9N0=on&sub1.x=0&sub1.y=0"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of exploring CoIr alloys?

CoIr alloys are important materials due to their unique properties and potential applications in various fields such as catalysis, magnetism, and biomedical devices. By studying their crystal structures and lattice parameters, we can gain a better understanding of their behavior and optimize their performance for specific applications.

2. What techniques are commonly used to explore the crystal structures of CoIr alloys?

X-ray diffraction (XRD) is the most commonly used technique for determining the crystal structure of materials. Other techniques such as transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) can also provide valuable information about the microstructure of CoIr alloys.

3. How do crystal structures and lattice parameters affect the properties of CoIr alloys?

The crystal structure of a material determines its arrangement of atoms, which in turn affects its physical, chemical, and mechanical properties. The lattice parameters, which describe the size and shape of the unit cell, can also influence the properties of CoIr alloys, such as their thermal and electrical conductivity.

4. What are the common crystal structures of CoIr alloys?

CoIr alloys usually have a face-centered cubic (fcc) or hexagonal close-packed (hcp) crystal structure. The fcc structure is more common at higher temperatures, while the hcp structure is favored at lower temperatures. However, other crystal structures, such as the body-centered cubic (bcc) structure, may also be observed depending on the composition and processing conditions of the alloys.

5. How can studying the crystal structures and lattice parameters of CoIr alloys contribute to further research?

Understanding the crystal structures and lattice parameters of CoIr alloys can provide insights into their behavior and help guide the development of new materials with improved properties. This knowledge can also aid in the design and optimization of CoIr alloys for specific applications, such as in the aerospace, electronics, and energy industries.