Exploring Continuous Lasing Action in Solid State Lasers

In summary: I've been wondering how certain solid state lasers could have a continuous lasing action (Nd YAG laser for instance )In summary, the conversation discusses the continuous lasing action of certain solid state lasers, specifically the Nd:YAG laser. The idea of the best lasing conditions being at the lowest temperature is questioned, as a significant amount of heat is produced during the pumping process. The issue of population inversion and its relationship to temperature is also brought up, with the suggestion that a coolant may be needed to quickly bring down the temperature. The conversation also mentions the thermal effects on a laser system and the use of air cooling to prevent these effects in low-power systems. Finally, the concept of population inversion as a temperature is clarified.
Rahul Manavalan
Hello
I've been wondering how certain solid state lasers could have a continuous lasing action (Nd YAG laser for instance )
If so,the understanding that the best lasing conditions are when the temperature Is lowest gets disproved(considering that a commendable quantity of heat is produced during the pumping process!
Please help me with this idea and do correct me if I'm wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rahul Manavalan said:
I've been wondering how certain solid state lasers could have a continuous lasing action (Nd YAG laser for instance )
Why not? What makes you think that a Nd:YAG laser cannot be operated in continuous mode?
Rahul Manavalan said:
the understanding that the best lasing conditions are when the temperature Is lowest gets disproved(considering that a commendable quantity of heat is produced during the pumping process!
In which context are you speaking of?

Isn't it a fact that the population inversion is known as a negative temperature process?
If yes,increase in temperature hampers population inversion and hence lasing action becomes invalid.
It's obvious that continuous operation of a krypton arc lamp generates tremendous heat.
My question is :is there a coolant that could bring down the temperature as quickly as it heats up?
Or is there an alternative explanation

Thermal effect does cause problem in a laser system, but this is mainly due to the thermal lensing where the index of refraction of the gain medium gets modified and photoelastic effect which can further cause birefringence effect. Heating process of the gain medium depends, among others, on the radiation intensity of the laser. Continuous operation is known to be limited to low intensity, due to this heating of the gain medium is supposed to be relatively minimal. For such low power laser system, air cooling (that is, the gain medium is simply exposed to an open space) is usually sufficient to prevent any pronounced thermal effects. Heating effect, instead, becomes serious in pulsed operation as the pulse intensity involved within the cavity may very high.

Thanks
It was very helpful
I owe you a big deal

You are welcome.

Also, keep in mind that population inversion should not be thought of as a temperature. The normal expression for temperature relates to to an average of an ensemble in equilibrium, but a population inversion is NOT in equilibrium. Even though you could still ascribe it a temperature it doesn't mean the same thing.

Thanks Zarqon

1. What is continuous lasing action in solid state lasers?

Continuous lasing action refers to the sustained emission of a coherent beam of light from a solid state laser without any interruptions or fluctuations in the output power. This is achieved by continuously pumping energy into the laser medium, which is typically a solid crystal or glass.

2. How is continuous lasing action achieved in solid state lasers?

Continuous lasing action is achieved through a process called population inversion, where the majority of the atoms in the laser medium are excited to a higher energy level. This is typically achieved by pumping the laser medium with an external energy source, such as an electric current or a flash lamp.

3. What are the advantages of continuous lasing action in solid state lasers?

The main advantage of continuous lasing action is the ability to produce a high power, stable beam of light. This makes solid state lasers ideal for applications such as cutting, welding, and medical procedures. Continuous lasing action also allows for precise control of the laser beam, making it suitable for tasks that require high accuracy.

4. What factors affect the continuous lasing action in solid state lasers?

The continuous lasing action in solid state lasers can be affected by several factors, such as the energy input into the laser medium, the quality of the laser medium, and the temperature of the laser medium. Other factors such as alignment and stability of the laser system can also impact the continuous lasing action.

5. How can continuous lasing action be improved in solid state lasers?

Continuous lasing action can be improved in solid state lasers by optimizing the laser medium, increasing the energy input, and ensuring proper alignment and stability of the laser system. Additionally, advancements in laser technology and materials can also contribute to improving the continuous lasing action in solid state lasers.