Exploring Coset Multiplication: Is it like Modding Out by N?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between cosets and factor groups in the context of normal subgroups. It is noted that the coset multiplication resembles moding out by a number in number theory. However, there are some key differences between the two operations, including the fact that the result of coset multiplication may not be an element of the original group. The speaker wants to ensure there are no counterexamples to this relationship.
cap.r
This isn't exactly a homework problem I just want to clarify things for myself.

I am looking back at my algebra notes and I am seeing cosets and factor groups in a new way.

If N is a normal subgroup of G, then the set of left cosets of N forms a group under the coset multiplication given by

aNbN = abN
for all a,b G.

so it looks like we are taking any expression in G let's say a(b+c)+d^2... and taking out whatever is in N and just putting in N. this looks very much like moding out by n in number theory.

is this true? i don't really see a problem with it but I want to make sure there are no counter examples

Physics news on Phys.org
. Yes, it is true that moding out by N in number theory is similar to taking out whatever is in N and replacing it with N in the context of cosets and factor groups. However, there are some key differences between the two operations. For example, in the number theory context, when you mod out by N, the result is an integer, whereas in the coset multiplication context, the result is not necessarily an element of G. Additionally, although both operations involve a division-like process, in the number theory context, division is exact, whereas in the coset multiplication context, division may not be exact. That is, the coset multiplication may yield an element that is not in G.

1. What is coset multiplication?

Coset multiplication is a mathematical operation that is used to combine two cosets, or subsets of a group, in order to create a new coset. It is similar to regular multiplication, but instead of multiplying numbers, coset multiplication involves multiplying elements of a group.

2. How is coset multiplication related to modding out by N?

Coset multiplication and modding out by N are closely related concepts. Modding out by N involves dividing a group into cosets, which can then be multiplied together using coset multiplication. In other words, modding out by N is a process that leads to coset multiplication.

3. What are the benefits of exploring coset multiplication?

Exploring coset multiplication can help us better understand the structure and properties of groups. It also has practical applications in areas such as coding theory, cryptography, and computer science.

4. Are there any limitations to coset multiplication?

Like any mathematical operation, coset multiplication has its limitations. It only applies to groups, which have specific properties and structures. Additionally, coset multiplication is not commutative, meaning that the order in which cosets are multiplied matters.

5. How can coset multiplication be visualized?

Coset multiplication can be visualized using a Cayley table, also known as a multiplication table. This table shows all possible combinations of cosets and their resulting product cosets, making it easier to understand and analyze coset multiplication.