Exploring Cosets of R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])

• Thread starter Stephen88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosets
In summary, the cosets of the ring R are defined by the division algorithm using the monic polynomial x^2+1 in the ring Z_4[x], and the multiplication between cosets is defined by the relation x^2+1=0 in the quotient.
Stephen88
I'm trying to list the cosets of the following ring and describe the relations that hold between these cosets.
R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])
I'm using the division algorithm since x^2+1 is monic in the ring Z_4[x].Now for every f that belongs to Z_4[x] by the division algorithm
f=(x^2+1)q(x)+p(x)=>the cosets are of the the form...a*x+b+I where I is an ideal generated by x^2+1.
x^2+1=0 in the quotient=>a new ring where multiplication between cosets A+I and B+I is is defined by (A+I)(B+I)=(AB)+1 where the relation x^2+1=0 exists
Is is ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. The cosets of R are of the form a*x+b+I, where I is the ideal generated by x2+1, and the relation between two cosets A+I and B+I is (A+I)(B+I)=(AB)+I, where the relation x2+1=0 holds in the quotient.

Related to Exploring Cosets of R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])

What is a coset?

A coset is a subset of a mathematical structure that is formed by taking an element from the structure and adding it to every element in a subgroup of the structure. In this case, we are exploring cosets of the ring R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x]).

What is R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])?

R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x]) is a ring, which is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and operations that satisfy certain properties. In this case, R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x]) is a quotient ring, which is formed by taking the elements of the polynomial ring Z_4[x] and dividing by the ideal generated by (x^2+1).

Why is it important to explore cosets of R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])?

Exploring cosets of R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x]) allows us to better understand the underlying structure of the ring and its elements. It also has applications in abstract algebra, coding theory, and other areas of mathematics.

What are some properties of cosets in R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])?

Some properties of cosets in R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x]) include that they are equivalence classes, they form a partition of the ring, and they have the same number of elements as the subgroup they are formed from.

How can we represent cosets in R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])?

Cosets in R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x]) can be represented using a representative element, which is an element from the coset that is chosen to represent the entire coset. We can also represent cosets using a coset notation, such as [a], where a is the representative element.