Exploring Level Curves of a Function with Maple

In summary, the conversation was about drawing level curves for the function z=(x^2+y^2)/y at various values of C. The conversation also discussed different methods for plotting these curves, including using implicit plots and polar coordinates. The use of polar coordinates was suggested as a simpler solution.
Yankel
Hello all,

I am trying to draw the level curves of this function:

\[z=\frac{x^{2}+y^{2}}{y}\]

at C=-1,-2,1,2

I started with C=1, and I got kind of stuck with this shape

\[x^{2}+y^{2}=y\]

Maple gave this as the answer, I don't get it:

View attachment 1879

thanks !

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 48
Physics news on Phys.org
Maple is definitely not giving you a good picture. These level curves are all of them circles. Different $z$ values have the effect of raising and lowering the circles. I'm not terribly familiar with Maple, but plotting these functions is often a matter of using some sort of implicit plot, since your function is defined implicitly. Sage gave me circles as a plot, which confirms what I think they ought to be. Check Maple's documentation and see if there isn't a specific command for plotting implicit functions.

\begin{align*}
zy&=x^{2}+y^{2} \\
0&=x^{2}+y^{2}-zy \\
\frac{z^{2}}{4} &=x^{2}+y^{2}-zy+ \frac{z^{2}}{4} \\
\frac{z^{2}}{4} &= x^{2}+ \left( y- \frac{z}{2} \right)^{ \! 2}.
\end{align*}
This is the equation of a circle centered at $(0,z/2)$ of radius $z/2$.

Don't expect Google to do your thinking for you! Your picture looks funny for two reasons: 1) The curves are not closing on the x-axis and, 2) your x and y-axes have different scales: the distance from 0 to 1 on the x-axis is larger than the distance from 0 to 1 on the y-axis so the circles look like ellipses. In any case, whoever gave you this problem expects you to be able to complete the square as Ackbach did.

Almost ever the use of polar coordinates conducts to a more simple solution... in this case we obtain... $\displaystyle \frac{x^{2} + y^{2}}{y} = a \implies r = a\ \sin \theta\ (1)$

... where $\theta$ must produce a value of $r \ge 0$...

Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Hello there,

It's great that you are using Maple to explore level curves of a function. Level curves are a useful tool for visualizing the behavior of a function in two dimensions. In this case, the function you are exploring is \[z=\frac{x^{2}+y^{2}}{y}\] and you are interested in the level curves at different values of C, specifically C=-1,-2,1,2.

When C=1, the level curve is given by the equation \[x^{2}+y^{2}=y\] This is a circle with center at (0,1/2) and radius 1/2. It may seem confusing at first because the equation is in terms of x and y, but remember that the level curve represents all points (x,y) where the function has the same value of C=1. Therefore, every point on this circle has the same value of z=1.

As you change the value of C, the shape of the level curve will change accordingly. For example, when C=-1, the level curve will be a circle with center at (0,-1/2) and radius 1/2. When C=2, the level curve will be a circle with center at (0,2) and radius 1.

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the shape of the level curves for this function. Keep exploring and experimenting with different values of C to see how the level curves change. Maple is a great tool for visualizing mathematical concepts and I encourage you to continue using it in your research. Best of luck!

Related to Exploring Level Curves of a Function with Maple

1. What is Maple and how is it used in exploring level curves of a function?

Maple is a mathematical software program commonly used by scientists and mathematicians to perform various calculations and visualizations. In exploring level curves of a function, Maple can be used to graph the function and manipulate the variables to create different level curves.

2. How do level curves help in understanding a function?

Level curves are a way to visualize a function in two dimensions. They show the points on a graph where the function has the same output, or level. By exploring different level curves, we can see how the function changes and get a better understanding of its behavior.

3. Can Maple be used to explore level curves of any type of function?

Yes, Maple can be used to explore level curves of any type of function, including linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions. Maple also has built-in functions for creating level curves of multivariable functions.

4. How can I manipulate the level curves in Maple to see different perspectives of a function?

In Maple, you can manipulate the variables in a function to create different level curves. You can also adjust the range of the graph, change the color and thickness of the curves, and add labels and annotations to enhance the visualization. Additionally, you can use sliders to dynamically change the variables and see how the level curves change accordingly.

5. Are there any other useful features in Maple for exploring level curves of a function?

Yes, Maple has many useful features for exploring level curves, such as the ability to plot multiple level curves on the same graph, create 3D level curves, and animate the level curves to see how they change over time. There are also several built-in tools for analyzing and manipulating the level curves, making Maple a powerful tool for studying functions.