Exploring Wave Motion: y(x,t) = 3e-(2x-4t)^2

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding the wave speed and velocity of a transverse pulse on a string along the x-axis. The suggested solution for part b is to take the derivative of the original wave function with respect to time, and the speed can be found using the second partial derivative of the wave function. The conversation also references external sources for further information on the wave equation.
Faux Carnival

Homework Statement

y(x,t) = 3e-(2x-4t)^2

Consider the wave function which represents a transverse pulse that travels on a string along the horizontal x-axis.

a) Find the wave speed
b) Find the velocity of the string at x=0 as a function of time

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think, for b) I should take the derivative of the original wave function with respect to t.
Easy if that's the case.

I have no idea about part a.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, thanks merry. I completely forgot about the linear wave equation.

And is my solution for part b correct? (Taking the derivative of the function with respect to time to find the string velocity function)

I would say so. At x = 0 that wave function gives Y position as a function of time, so its time derivative would be the rate of change of the Y position.

Hello! It's great to see that you are exploring wave motion and working on this problem. To begin, let's break down the wave function given in the problem. The function y(x,t) represents the displacement of the string at a certain point (x) and time (t). The term 3e represents the amplitude of the wave and the term -(2x-4t)^2 represents the phase of the wave. The phase of the wave determines the position and shape of the wave as it moves along the string.

a) To find the wave speed, we can use the equation v = λf, where v is the wave speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. In this case, we can see that the wavelength is given by λ = 2x - 4t. Therefore, the wave speed can be calculated as v = λf = (2x - 4t)f. The frequency of the wave is not given in the problem, but it can be determined by looking at the period of the wave. The period is the time it takes for one complete wave to pass a certain point. In this case, the period is given by T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency. Since the wave function is in the form of a Gaussian, we can determine the angular frequency as ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency mentioned above. Therefore, the wave speed can be written as v = (2x - 4t)(2πf) = 4πf(x - 2t).

b) To find the velocity of the string at x=0 as a function of time, we can take the derivative of the wave function with respect to t. This will give us the velocity of the string at any given point (x) and time (t). Therefore, we can write the velocity as v(x,t) = ∂y/∂t = 3e-(2x-4t)^2(-8). This can be simplified to v(x,t) = 24e-(2x-4t)^2. Finally, to find the velocity at x=0, we can simply plug in x=0 into the equation, giving us v(0,t) = 24e-(4t)^2. This is the velocity of the string at x=0 as a function of time.

I

1. What is the equation for wave motion?

The equation for wave motion is typically written as y(x,t) = A sin(kx - ωt) or y(x,t) = A cos(kx - ωt), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, and ω is the angular frequency.

2. What does the variable x represent in this equation?

The variable x represents the position along the wave, usually measured in meters.

3. What does the variable t represent in this equation?

The variable t represents time, usually measured in seconds.

4. How does the amplitude affect the wave?

The amplitude determines the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude results in a more pronounced wave.

5. How do changes in the wave number and angular frequency affect the wave?

The wave number (k) and angular frequency (ω) determine the wavelength and period of the wave, respectively. As these values change, the wave will appear to stretch or compress and speed up or slow down.