Exponential Growth: Solving for n in 500 000 Citizens

In summary, the problem is trying to determine how many iterations it takes for a gossip to reach all 500,000 citizens in a city where each person tells the gossip to 2 other people. Representing 500,000 in binary as 1111010000100100000, we can see that the number of iterations needed will have some zeros in the middle, as the number of people being told is not a "nice" binary number. The solution involves finding the binary representation of 500,000 and using that to determine the number of iterations needed.
Bassalisk

Homework Statement

City has 500 000 citizens. One citizen knows a gossip. After 10 minutes, he tells that gossip to another 2 citizens. Those 2 citizens tell that gossip to another 2 citizens(both of them tell 2 citizens). After what time whole city will know the gossip?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem here is after how much iterations, whole city will know the gossip.

[itex]\sum 2^{i}= 500 000[/itex] where sum goes from i=0 to n. n are number of iterations i am looking for.

1+2+4+8+...=500 000

Problem is, I don't know how to find them, without using c++ :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to represent 500,000 in binary?

daveb said:
Do you know how to represent 500,000 in binary?

Yes but I don't know where are you going with this. Its 1111010000100100000.

Say there are 10 people. Then 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 people covers everyone. So the binary representation 1111 means 4 iterations. The binary number 111 (7 people) means 3 iterations. Can you see now?

I see but. What do I do if I have zeroes in the middle? Does this still hold? 500 000 is not a "nice" number in binary.

True, but using my analogy, if you need to tell only 10 people, three iterations (binary 111) only gets you 7 people. So you must have another iteration, and it means some of the people in the last iteration will either tell someone that already knows, or not tell anyone at all. That's why you have zeros in the binary representation, because 10 isn't a "nice" binary number.

daveb said:
True, but using my analogy, if you need to tell only 10 people, three iterations (binary 111) only gets you 7 people. So you must have another iteration, and it means some of the people in the last iteration will either tell someone that already knows, or not tell anyone at all. That's why you have zeros in the binary representation, because 10 isn't a "nice" binary number.

I get it. I will try to figure the answer out.

Thank you.

Related to Exponential Growth: Solving for n in 500 000 Citizens

What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth that occurs when a quantity increases at a constant rate over a period of time, resulting in a continuously accelerating growth curve. It is often seen in populations, financial investments, and biological processes.

Why is exponential growth important to understand?

Exponential growth is important to understand because it can have a significant impact on various systems and can lead to rapid changes. It can also help predict future trends and make informed decisions.

How do you solve for n in exponential growth?

To solve for n in exponential growth, you can use the formula n = logb(xf/xi), where n is the number of time periods, b is the base of the exponential function, xf is the final value, and xi is the initial value.

What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some real-life examples of exponential growth include population growth, compound interest on investments, and the spread of infectious diseases. These scenarios demonstrate how a small change in the beginning can lead to a significant impact over time.

How can exponential growth be controlled or managed?

Exponential growth can be controlled or managed by implementing strategies such as limiting resources, implementing regulations, and promoting sustainable practices. It is also important to monitor and analyze growth patterns to make informed decisions and adjust strategies as needed.