Expressing a Matrix as a Linear Combination of Pauli Spin Matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of a unitary matrix D in terms of Pauli spin matrices, as well as the requirement for D to be traceless. The conversation also mentions the possibility of representing D in an exponential form. The participants express confusion and uncertainty about how to approach the problem and ask for guidance.
physics2000

Homework Statement

Pauli Spin matrices (math methods in physics question)

Show that D can be expressed as:

[tex]D=d_1\sigma_1+d_2\sigma_2+d_3\sigma_3[/tex]

and write the [tex]d_i[/tex] in terms of D's elements, let D also be Unitary

Homework Equations

- Any 2x2 complex matrix can be written as :

[tex]M=m_1\sigma_1+m_2\sigma_2+m_3\sigma_3+m_0I[/tex] where "I" is the identity matrix

- Pauli spin matrix properties

-require that D have 0 trace

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea where to begin honestly. please don't ding me ! This is the first day I've ever dealt with pauli spin matrices :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it is simply given that D is a unitary matrix, then this is not true. For example, take D to be a unit matrix (which is clearly unitary). Then, as you correctly point out, it is not traceless, and cannot be represented in that way.

What is D supposed to be?

If D is unitary, then it may be written in an exponential form:
[tex]
D = \exp(i X)
[/tex]
What property does X have if D is unitary? What if D has a unit determinant?

thanks for the reply,

thats exactly what I'm confused about...assume D is traceless and not unitary, does this make more sense to you? I get what you are saying, and I completely agree

I assume from the question that D is supposed to be like M in the relevant equations section, in which the [tex]\sigma_i[/tex] correspond to the pauli matrices 1,2 and 3

Dickfore said:
If it is simply given that D is a unitary matrix, then this is not true. For example, take D to be a unit matrix (which is clearly unitary). Then, as you correctly point out, it is not traceless, and cannot be represented in that way.

Even though not every unitary 2x2 matrix is traceless, there are many unitary matrices that are tracekess, i.e., there are many unitary matrices that can be written in the form D of the original post. For example, each Pauli matrix is unitary and traceless. So is [itex]i \left( \sigma_1 + \sigma_3) \right)/\sqrt{2}[/itex]. So is ...

Thanks for the reply, I have no idea though how to answer the original question or start it. May I have some guidance :D?

Related to Expressing a Matrix as a Linear Combination of Pauli Spin Matrices

1. What is a Pauli matrix?

A Pauli matrix, also known as a Pauli spin matrix, is a mathematical matrix that is used to describe the spin states of fundamental particles in quantum mechanics. It was first introduced by Wolfgang Pauli in the 1920s.

2. How many Pauli matrices are there?

There are three Pauli matrices, denoted as σx, σy, and σz. Each matrix has a dimension of 2x2 and represents a different spin state of a particle.

3. What are the properties of Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are Hermitian, unitary, and traceless. This means that they are self-adjoint, their inverse is equal to their conjugate transpose, and the sum of their diagonal elements is equal to zero.

4. How are Pauli matrices used in quantum mechanics?

Pauli matrices are used to represent the spin operators in quantum mechanics. They are also used in the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state.

5. Can Pauli matrices be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Pauli matrices can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, the Pauli matrices are a special case of a larger set of matrices known as the Gell-Mann matrices, which are used to describe the properties of quarks in particle physics.