Extrema of a multivariable function

In summary, using the second partials test and Lagrange multipliers, it can be shown that a square with sides of length l/4 has the maximum area among all parallelograms with perimeter l. This is because when the length of two adjacent sides are equal, the area is maximized when the angle between them is 90 degrees.
adartsesirhc

Homework Statement

Show that among all parallelograms with perimeter [tex]l[/tex], a square with sides of length [tex]l/4[/tex] has maximum area. Do this using the second partials test, and then using Lagrange multipliers.

Homework Equations

Area of a parallelogram: [tex]A = absin\phi[/tex], where a and b are the lengths of two adjacent sides and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle between them.

Second partials test: [tex]D=f_{xx}f_{yy} - f_{xy}^{2}[/tex]

Method of Lagrange multipliers: [tex]\nabla f=\lambda\nabla g[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To do it using the second partials test, I would have to reduce A to a function of two variables. I know this has to do with expressing [tex]\phi[/tex] as a function of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex]. After this, I'm stuck.

For the Lagrange multipliers method, I can use [tex]A(a,b)[/tex] as the function to be maximized and use [tex]g(a,b)= 2a + 2b - l[/tex] as the constraint equation. However, I'm still stuck on how to reduce [tex]A[/tex] to a function of two variables. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually you don't really have to take [tex]\phi[/tex] into consideration. Can you show that one particular critical point occurs when a=b? So geometrically that reduces the possibilities to either a square or a rhombus. Since the area function you want to maximise is given by [tex]ab\sin \phi[/tex] and a=b, it's easy to tell that the expression is maxed when [tex]\phi = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

Related to Extrema of a multivariable function

What is the definition of extrema in a multivariable function?

In a multivariable function, extrema refer to the maximum and minimum values that the function can attain. These values can occur at specific points in the domain of the function or at the boundaries of the domain.

How do you find the critical points of a multivariable function?

The critical points of a multivariable function are found by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and setting them equal to 0. The resulting system of equations can then be solved to find the critical points.

What is the difference between a relative extrema and an absolute extrema?

A relative extrema is a maximum or minimum value of a function within a specific region of the domain, while an absolute extrema is the maximum or minimum value of the entire domain of the function.

Can a multivariable function have more than one extrema?

Yes, a multivariable function can have multiple extrema, including both local and global extrema. These values can occur at different points in the domain of the function and can be both maximum and minimum values.

What is the significance of extrema in a multivariable function?

Extrema in a multivariable function can provide important information about the behavior and characteristics of the function. They can help identify optimal solutions in real-world problems and provide insights into the shape and curvature of the function's graph.