Eye diagram telecommunications

In summary, the conversation is about the expected eye diagram for a digital signal passing through a transmission line with a bandwidth limited to three times the maximum bit rate of the signal. The answer states that only f1 and f3 will pass through, and the question is raised about f2. The clarification is requested as to why the answer only mentions f1 and f3 and not f2. A further explanation is requested, and a hint is given to Google the question if needed.
fran1942

Homework Statement

draw the eye diagram you would expect to see should a digital signal be passed through a transmission line with a bandwidth limited to three times the maximum bit rate of the digital signal.

the answer is "Only f1 and f3 pass through"

My question is, what about f2 ?
Why does the answer to this question read f1 & f3 rather than f1 - f3 (including f2) ?

Thanks for any clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
fran1942 said:

Homework Statement

draw the eye diagram you would expect to see should a digital signal be passed through a transmission line with a bandwidth limited to three times the maximum bit rate of the digital signal.

the answer is "Only f1 and f3 pass through"

My question is, what about f2 ?
Why does the answer to this question read f1 & f3 rather than f1 - f3 (including f2) ?

Thanks for any clarification.

What is the frequency domain spectrum for a square wave in the time domain?

Hello, thanks for your help. I have tried thinking about this one, but I still can't understand why f2 is not mentioned in the answer to this question.

If you could please offer some further explanation that would be great.
Thank you.

fran1942 said:
Hello, thanks for your help. I have tried thinking about this one, but I still can't understand why f2 is not mentioned in the answer to this question.

If you could please offer some further explanation that would be great.
Thank you.

You didn't address my question/hint. Try Googling my question if nothing still comes to mind...

The answer may have been simplified for the purpose of the question. In reality, all three frequencies (f1, f2, and f3) will pass through, but f2 will have a lower amplitude compared to f1 and f3 due to the bandwidth limitation. This can be seen in the eye diagram as a smaller opening for f2 compared to f1 and f3. Therefore, f2 is still present in the signal, but it is attenuated due to the bandwidth limitation.

What is an eye diagram in telecommunications?

An eye diagram is a graph that shows the signal quality of a digital communication system. It plots the amplitude (or voltage) of the signal over time and allows engineers to analyze the performance of the system by identifying different signal impairments.

How is an eye diagram created?

An eye diagram is created by sampling the digital signal at regular intervals, usually with an oscilloscope, and plotting the results in a graph. The resulting shape resembles an "eye", hence the name.

What does an eye diagram tell us about a communication system?

An eye diagram provides information about the signal quality of a communication system, including the signal's amplitude, shape, and timing. It can reveal problems such as noise, distortion, and timing errors, which can affect the performance of the system.

How is an eye diagram used in troubleshooting?

An eye diagram is used in troubleshooting to identify and locate signal impairments in a communication system. By analyzing the shape and characteristics of the eye diagram, engineers can pinpoint the source of the problem and make necessary adjustments to improve the signal quality.

What are the advantages of using an eye diagram in telecommunications?

Using an eye diagram allows engineers to quickly and accurately assess the performance of a communication system. It provides a visual representation of the signal quality, making it easier to identify and troubleshoot problems. It also allows for better optimization of the system, leading to improved overall performance.