F(f(x)) when f(x) = absolute value of x-1

In summary: For instance, if you plug in x=1, y=2, and then try to sketch the graph, you'll see that the function is undefined at that point.Instead, you should sketch the graph of the function at x=1, y=2, and then add an extra point at x=3. This will help you to see the shape of the graph, and you can then start to fill in the details.In summary, the function is a piecewise function and needs to be written as such in order to get a valid graph.
Emworthington

Homework Statement

Suppose f is the function defined by f(x) = l x-1 l Sketch the graph of y = f(f(x))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not so much sketching the graph that is the problem as much as it is figuring out how to set up the equations. How do I put an absolute value into an equation that already has one? I sketched a table so that I had x and y values of the original function, can that help me at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
f(f(x))=|f(x)-1|=... Perform the last step and then start plugging in some values.

so can I put an absolute value inside another absolute value? The function would look something like this?
I x-1I -1 I

Would it be valid to take the y values from the original function and plug them back into the original function?

Yes, It would look like that. What it means is take the absolute value of x-1, and then subtract 1 from that quantity and take the absolute value of what you get from that.

Just plug in integers for x and see what y ends up being to get the graph

Emworthington said:

Homework Statement

Suppose f is the function defined by f(x) = l x-1 l Sketch the graph of y = f(f(x))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not so much sketching the graph that is the problem as much as it is figuring out how to set up the equations. How do I put an absolute value into an equation that already has one? I sketched a table so that I had x and y values of the original function, can that help me at all?
Hello Emworthington. Welcome to PF !

f(f(x)) = | |x-1| -1 | .

My suggestion is to write this as a piecewise function.

If you simply plug-in some values, you're likely to miss some important details that should be in the graph.

Related to F(f(x)) when f(x) = absolute value of x-1

1. What is the value of F(f(x)) when x=1?

The value of F(f(x)) when x=1 is 0.

2. What is the value of F(f(x)) when x=2?

The value of F(f(x)) when x=2 is 1.

3. What is the value of F(f(x)) when x=-1?

The value of F(f(x)) when x=-1 is 2.

4. What is the domain of F(f(x))?

The domain of F(f(x)) is all real numbers.

5. How does the graph of F(f(x)) look like?

The graph of F(f(x)) is a "V" shape with the vertex at (1,0) and the two arms extending to infinity in both directions. The graph is symmetric about the y-axis.