Factorials and lists/subsets counting

In summary, the first problem involves finding the value of ##\frac{120!}{118!}## using only pencil and paper, which can be simplified to 14280. The second problem involves computing how many 9-digit numbers can be made from the digits 1-9 with no repetition, and the formula for this is ##5!4!## or 2880.
reenmachine
Gold Member
1.1 Homework Statement

Using only pencil and paper , find the value of ##\frac{120!}{118!}##

2.1 Relevant equations

##\frac{120 \cdot 119 \cdot 118!}{118!} = 120 \cdot 119 = 14280##

1.2 Homework Statement

Compute how many 9-digit numbers can be made from the digits 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 if repetition is not allowed and all the odd digits occur first (on the left) followed by all the even digits (i.e. as in 1375980264 but not 0123456789).

(this question is from a book so I have no clue why they included 0 in their exemples , so I will just ignore it and take for granted that it's a mistake)

2.2 Relevant equations

My guess is this is like doing two different lists , one for the odd numbers and one for the even numbers.

The formula I intuitively came up with is ##5 \cdot 4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1 \cdot 4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1## which in retrospective is simply ##5!4! = 2880##.

Any thoughts on those two problems and my attempt at solving them?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
thank you!

1. What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical operation that calculates the product of a given number and all the positive integers smaller than it. It is denoted by an exclamation mark (!) after the number, for example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How is a factorial used in counting subsets?

Factorials are used in the counting of subsets by helping to determine the total number of possible combinations or arrangements of a given set of elements. For example, if we have a set of 3 elements, the total number of subsets would be 2^3 = 8. This can also be calculated as 3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 8.

3. What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement of a set of elements where the order matters. For example, the permutations of the letters A, B, and C would include ABC, ACB, BAC, etc. A combination, on the other hand, is a selection of elements where the order does not matter. For example, the combinations of the same letters would include ABC, ACB, BAC, and so on.

4. Can factorials be used to count the number of ways to arrange elements with repetition?

Yes, factorials can be used to count the number of ways to arrange elements with repetition. However, the formula changes slightly to account for the repeated elements. For example, if we have a set of 4 elements with 2 repeats, the total number of arrangements would be 4!/2! = 12.

5. Are there any other applications of factorials in science?

Yes, factorials have several applications in science, particularly in probability and statistics. They are used to calculate the total number of possible outcomes in experiments with multiple events, determine the probability of certain events occurring in a sample space, and in the calculation of various statistical tests such as ANOVA and chi-square tests.