Factoring and solving for variable x

In summary: For both of those, what factor is common in both parts i.e. for 1) if we let a = x^2 - 5 then we have 4x*a - a^2 = 0, can we factor anything out?An apparent confusion of notation in your post, is one of the x's a multiply and is s the same as X? :confused:Fixed the problem, hope it clears any confusion. If not let me know.For problem 1. I see that (x2-5) is similar to (x2-5)2 but the ^2 outside of the brackets is throwing me off. Same goes for problem 2., i see that (1-x) is a common
imdapolak
1. Solve algebraically for...
1.) 4x*(x^2-5)+(x^2-5)^2=0 two separate problems not relating to each other 2.) 4x^3*(1-x)^3-3*(1-x)^2*x^4=0 2. this symbol ^ is to the power of. all x's are the x variable as written in my precalc book. For problem 1. I see that (x^2-5) is similar to (x^2-5)^2 but the ^2 outside of the brackets is throwing me off. Same goes for problem 2., i see that (1-x) is a common factor but the exponents are throwing me off. The variable x should have an answer using the zero product rule.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For both of those, what factor is common in both parts i.e. for 1) if we let a = x^2 - 5 then we have 4x*a - a^2 = 0, can we factor anything out?

An apparent confusion of notation in your post, is one of the x's a multiply and is s the same as X? :confused:

Fixed the problem, hope it clears any confusion. If not let me know.

imdapolak said:
For problem 1. I see that (x2-5) is similar to (x2-5)2 but the ^2 outside of the brackets is throwing me off. Same goes for problem 2., i see that (1-x) is a common factor but the exponents are throwing me off.

When an exponent is outside of the parentheses, it is applied to the entire term inside of the parentheses.

In other words, (x2 - 5)2 = (x2 - 5)(x2 - 5)

imdapolak said:
1. Solve algebraically for...
1.) 4x*(x^2-5)+(x^2-5)^2=0

By the "distributive law" this is the same as (x^2- 5)(4x+ x^2- 5)= 0 so either x^2- 5= 0 or x^2+ 4x- 5= 0. x^2- 5= 0 has x= sqrt(5) and -sqrt(5) as roots. x^2+ 4x- 5= (x+5)(x-1)= 0 has x= 1 and x= -5 as roots.

2.) 4x^3*(1-x)^3-3*(1-x)^2*x^4=0
Again, you can use the distributive law to say that is the same as (1-x)^2(4x^3(1-x)- 3x^4)= (1-x)^2(-4x^4+ 4x^3- 3x^4)= (1-x)^2(-7x^4+ 4x^3)= 0. Now it is easy to see that we can also factor out x^3: (1-x)^2(x^3)(-7x+ 4)= 0. We must have (1-x)^2= 0 or x^3= 0 or -7x+ 4= 0. The first of those has x= 1 as a double root. The second has x= 0 as a triple root and the last has x= 4/7 as root. Notice that counting "multiplicities" that gives us 6 roots. That is correct because if we were to multiply out the original polynomial, we would have a highest power term of x^6.

2. this symbol ^ is to the power of. all x's are the x variable as written in my precalc book. For problem 1. I see that (x^2-5) is similar to (x^2-5)^2 but the ^2 outside of the brackets is throwing me off. Same goes for problem 2., i see that (1-x) is a common factor but the exponents are throwing me off. The variable x should have an answer using the zero product rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Factoring and solving for variable x

1. What is factoring and why is it important?

Factoring is the process of finding the factors of an algebraic expression. It is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily.

2. How do I factor a quadratic equation?

To factor a quadratic equation, we need to find two numbers that can be multiplied to get the constant term and added to get the coefficient of the middle term. We then use these numbers to split the middle term and factorize the expression.

3. What is the difference between factoring and solving for a variable?

Factoring involves breaking down an expression into its factors, while solving for a variable involves finding the value of the variable that makes the equation true. Factoring is usually done to simplify an expression, while solving for a variable is done to find the solution to an equation.

4. Can factoring be used with other types of equations?

Yes, factoring can be used with other types of equations such as linear equations, cubic equations, and higher degree polynomials. However, the methods for factoring may vary depending on the type of equation.

5. How can factoring help with real-life problems?

Factoring can help us solve real-life problems by allowing us to break down complex expressions and equations into simpler forms, making them easier to understand and solve. It is also useful in areas such as finance, engineering, and science where equations and expressions are frequently used to model real-world situations.