Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary: Then factor that out to get y=x^3. In summary, the student is trying to find the intersection points of two curves, but is having difficulty due to the equations being too difficult to factor.
zeion

Homework Statement

I need to find where these curves intersect:

x+y = 2y^2
y = x^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I try to write both in terms of y, I get

2y^2 - y = y^(1/3)

I try to factor

2y^2 - y - y^(1/3) = 0
y(2y - 1 - y^(-2/3)) = 0 ??

What do I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:

Homework Statement

I need to find where these curves intersect:

x+y = 2y^2
y = x^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I try to write both in terms of y, I get

2y^2 - y = y^(1/3)
You're on the right track up to the step above, but that's not an equation that's easy to factor with that cube root.

Instead, cube both sides of the equation. The right side is easy; when cubed it becomes just y.
The left side requires some care, because you're multiplying (2y2 - y)(2y2 - y)(2y2 - y). When you're done, the highest degree term will be 8y6. This might turn out to be a messy problem, since you'll be needing to factor a 6th degree polynomial to find the intersection point(s) - I believe there are two.
zeion said:
I try to factor

2y^2 - y - y^(1/3) = 0
y(2y - 1 - y^(-2/3)) = 0 ??

What do I do next?

Okay so after I cubed both sides I get:

8y6 - 12y5 - 2y4 - y3 - y =0

Then I factor out a y:

y(8y5 - 12y4 - 2y3 - y2 - 1) = 0

How do I factor now..? Was there some way to check easier with ration roots theorem?

Yes the other root is rational so use the theorem to find it.

It would have saved you a lot of hassle cubing and even makes finding the other root besides y=0 much easier if you substituted [itex]y=x^3[/itex] into [itex]x+y=2y^2[/itex]. You will quickly and easily get [itex]x+x^3=2x^6[/itex].

Related to Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves

1. What is "Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves"?

"Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the factors of a polynomial expression and using them to graph intersecting curves on a coordinate plane.

2. Why is factoring important in "Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves"?

Factoring is important in "Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves" because it allows us to break down complex polynomial expressions into simpler terms, making it easier to identify and graph the intersecting curves.

3. How are intersecting curves found in "Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves"?

Intersecting curves are found by graphing the factored polynomial expressions on a coordinate plane and identifying where the curves intersect. These points of intersection are the solutions to the equation.

4. What are some real-life applications of "Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves"?

"Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves" has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, where it can be used to model and solve problems involving intersecting curves.

5. Are there any tips for mastering "Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves"?

To master "Factoring Madness: Intersecting Curves", it is important to have a strong understanding of basic algebraic concepts, such as factoring and graphing. It is also helpful to practice with different types of polynomial expressions and identify patterns in their graphs.