Factoring x^2 + y^2 | Sophie Germain's Identity

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dethrone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the website mentioned Sophie Germain's Identity as a way to factor sums of squares if 2AB is a perfect square. However, this factorization may not always be practical. The conversation then moves on to discussing factoring y^4 + y^2 + 1, and it is suggested to let x = y^2 and complete the square to get (x + 1/2)^2 + 3/4. Further factoring is still being discussed.
Dethrone
I came across an interesting website today, which stated that you can factor sums of squares IF 2AB is a perfect square known as the Sophie Germain’s Identity. Below is the website for your reference.

http://oakroadsystems.com/math/sumsqr.htm

I realize that if it is a perfect square, then the factorization would be nice and clean, but could you not do it also for non-perfect squares?

Example: factor $x^2 + y^2$

$A=x$
$B=y$
$2AB=2xy$

Therefore, $(x+y+\sqrt{2xy}) (x+y-\sqrt{2xy})$. If I were to expand this, I would get $x^2 + y^2$. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
I came across an interesting website today, which stated that you can factor sums of squares IF 2AB is a perfect square known as the Sophie Germain’s Identity. Below is the website for your reference.

http://oakroadsystems.com/math/sumsqr.htm

I realize that if it is a perfect square, then the factorization would be nice and clean, but could you not do it also for non-perfect squares?

Example: factor x^2 + y^2

A=x
B=y
2AB=2xy

Therefore, (x+y+sqrt(2xy)) (x+y-sqrt(2xy)). If I were to expand this, I would get x^2 + y^2. Is this correct?

Yes, that's true. The real question is: how useful is it?

For example, we can factor 25 as:

$(7 + \sqrt{24})(7 - \sqrt{24})$, but this factorization is not very easy to work with. This factors the rational number 25 into two irrational numbers, whereas the factorization:

$25 = 5\ast 5$

is much more practical.

So this raises the question: when is $\sqrt{2xy}$ rational?

You're right, it's not at all useful, just thought it was neat. I don't think sqrt(2xy) is rational, since sqrt(2) is an irrational number? Assuming that xy = 1.

Rido12 said:
You're right, it's not at all useful, just thought it was neat. I don't think sqrt(2xy) is rational, since sqrt(2) is an irrational number? Assuming that xy = 1.

It is useful. One should realize that $x^2 + y^2$ is not the expression but the form

for exampe $a^4 + 4b^4$ is $x^2+y^2$ where $x=a^2$ and $y = 2b^2$ then $2xy= 4a^2b^2$ which is a perfect square

this can be utilized to factor

Ah, I see. This is unrelated to the original topic, but how may I go around factoring y^4 + y^2 + 1?

I know it is (y^2 + y + 1) (y^2 - y + 1), but not sure how to get there.

The only thing I notice is that there is some kind of difference of squares going around...
(y^2 + 1 + y) (y^2 + 1 - y)
= (y^2 + 1)^2 - y^2
= y^4 + 2y^2 + 1 - y^2

Is there an easier way to factor it, other than to rearrange the polynomial like what I just did?

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
Ah, I see. This is unrelated to the original topic, but how may I go around factoring y^4 + y^2 + 1?

I know it is (y^2 + y + 1) (y^2 - y + 1), but not sure how to get there.

Let $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = y^2 \end{align*}$ to get $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x^2 + x + 1 \end{align*}$ and then complete the square.

Ah, completing the square. Before I asked the question, I got to x^2 + x + 1, but I didn't know how to further factor it. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait... x^2 + x + 1 = (x + 1/2)^2 + 3/4...how do I further factor?

Last edited:
Still having a bit of trouble, actually.

If we let y^2 = x
then...
x^2 + x + 1, completing the square gives me (x+1/2)^2 + 3/4

How do I get (y^2 + y + 1) (y^2 - y + 1) from that?

1. What is the formula for Sophie Germain's Identity?

The formula for Sophie Germain's Identity is x^2 + 2xy + y^2 = (x + y)^2.

2. What is the significance of Sophie Germain's Identity in mathematics?

Sophie Germain's Identity is significant in mathematics because it is a useful tool in factoring expressions of the form x^2 + y^2. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

3. How is Sophie Germain's Identity related to prime numbers?

Sophie Germain's Identity is related to prime numbers through the concept of Sophie Germain primes. These are prime numbers of the form 2p + 1, where p is also a prime number. Sophie Germain's Identity can be used to prove that if p is a Sophie Germain prime, then 2p + 1 is also a prime number.

4. Can Sophie Germain's Identity be generalized to higher powers?

Yes, Sophie Germain's Identity can be generalized to higher powers. For example, (x + y)^3 = x^3 + 3x^2y + 3xy^2 + y^3 can be seen as a generalization of the identity for the third power.

5. What is the relation between Sophie Germain's Identity and Pythagorean triples?

Sophie Germain's Identity is closely related to Pythagorean triples, which are sets of three positive integers (a, b, c) that satisfy the equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2. This is because Sophie Germain's Identity can be used to generate Pythagorean triples, such as (x, y, x^2 + y^2) or (x + y, x - y, 2xy).